Quarter finals beckon for Farsley Celtic


Farsley Celtic set up a quarter final tie with neighbours Guiseley AFC in the West Riding County Cup after defeating Glasshoughton Welfare 3-1, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Farsley started the brighter and had two early chances, first Lewis Nightingle skipped past two defenders before firing wide, and then Jacob Hazel ballooned his shot over from Nathan Turner’s cross.

Nathan Keightley then forced Celtic ‘keeper Graeme McKibbin into a good save following a nice run, before Farsley went back on the offensive and Lewis Nightingale forced a save from Andrew Holland.

Just after the half hour mark Glasshoughton had the best chance of the game so far as Keightley pulled the ball back to Connor Galvin who saw his shot spectacularly saved by McKibbin. Farsley then scored two quick fire goals to head into the interval 2-0 up.

First Adam Clayton fired in a deflected effort from the edge of the box into the bottom corner. Substitute James Walshaw, who replaced the injured Ryan Serrant, scored the second as he slotted home past Holland after being played in by Lewis Nightingale.

James Walshaw almost put the game out of sight on the hour mark as he played an intricate one-two with Lewis Nightingale before Holland made another solid save to deny the Celtic forward.

Aiden Savory had a couple of chances saved by Holland, before Glasshoughton almost pulled one back. Connor Galvin was once again involved as he played in Andrew Horbury, however substitute ‘keeper Jake Lofthouse produced a sensational stop to preserve Farsley’s two-goal buffer.

Glasshoughton then found themselves in even more trouble as after their own corner the ball went all the way back to Holland.

He then gave it straight to Walshaw who attempted to fire goalwards only to be hauled down by the ‘keeper who received his marching order. Sstriker Andrew Horbury took his place in goal.

From the resulting free-kick Walshaw curled the ball into the goal to all but secure the victory for Farsley.

Glasshougton did secure a consolation however, with Nathan Keightley slotting home.

Ultimately Farsley were just too strong for their opponents, who put a brave fight.

Next up for Farsley is an FA Trophy tie at home to National League side Southport on Saturday and it would be great to see as many there as possible.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin (Lofthouse 46), Turner, Serrant (Walshaw 35), P. Davidson, Clayton, Miller (c), Nightingale, Daly, Savory, Marshall, Hazel. Unused subs: Walker, Deacey, Howarth.

Glasshoughton Welfare: Holland, Marsh, Cunliffe, Maude, Harrison, McManus, Galvin, Akeister (Hayton 65), Horbury, Keightley, Morley (Walsh 57). Unused subs: Varley.

MOTM: James Walshaw

Attendance: 44


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.