Quiz compiled by Jill Stocks
As Pilot sang in 1975: “January, sick and tired you’ve been hanging on me”. We’ve made it through the first month of the year. But how much do you actually remember of Januarys recent or not so recent? Try our quiz about all things January.
- Wendy James celebrated her 55th birthday in January 2021 but with which band was she the lead singer in the 1980’s?
2. Sharon Osbourne quit as manager of which group, who had a hit in 1995 with “Tonight, Tonight”, after only three months in January 2000, citing medical reasons, saying in a press release “Billy Corgan made me sick”?
3. David Bowie was born on January 8th 1947 and died on January 10th 2016, two days after his 69th birthday. What was his first UK top five hit?
4.Which singer/songwriter, born in Cheshire and recipient of six Ivor Novello awards, celebrated his 50th birthday on the 20th January 2021?
5. Elvis Presley was born on 8th January 1935. With which song, already in the charts at the time of his death, did he achieve his first posthumous number one?
6. Which artist became the first female performer to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in January 1987?
7. Which record label was founded in Detroit in January 1959?
- Which singer who had a hit with “Rockin’ In The Free World” sold a 50% stake in their back catalogue for $150 million (£110 million) in January 2021?
- Which iconic album went to number 1 in the US Billboard charts on January 11th 1992?
- Which bands Japanese leg of their tour was abandoned in January 1973 after their lead singer was denied a visa because of his 1969 drug conviction?
11. In which country were women allowed to become train drivers for the first time in January 2021?
12. Which radio programme celebrated its’ 75th birthday in January of this year?
13. Which iconic novel was first published, anonymously, in January 1818, with only 500 copies printed?
14. Which American carnival runs from 6th January to “Fat Tuesday” the 16th February?
15. Which drug first became available in tablet form in January 1915?
- In January 1863 which president of the United States issued the “Emancipation Proclamation”?
- Which chef who died in January 2021 at the age of 85 was the first in Britain to win three Michelin stars?
- Which superstar sang the US national anthem at President Biden’s inauguration on 20th January 2021?
- Which newspaper began publication in January 1788?
- Which search website first appeared in January 2001?
21. Who wrote and created the acclaimed Channel Four drama “It’s a Sin”, first shown in January 2021?
22. January Jones played Betty Draper in which US drama series which ran from 2007 to 2015?
23. Top of the Pops first aired on the BBC in the January of which year?
24. Which actor made his first appearance as Doctor Who in January 1970, which was also the first time the programme was aired in colour?
25. Which US drama series first aired in the US in January 1999 and ended in 2007, featuring intimate conversations between the main character and their therapist?
26. Which long time Coronation Street character played by Bryan Mosley died in the New Years Day edition of the soap in 1999?
27. Which US police drama created by Stephen Bocho and Michael Kozell premiered in January 1981?
28. In 1985 which music channel first aired on US cable?
29. What is the name of the BBC drama which premiered in January 2021 based on the real-life crimes of killer Charles Sobhraj.
30. The Simpsons premiered on Fox in the US in January of which year?
31.Gerwyn Price won the World Championships of which sport in January 2021?
- Where were the England cricket team on tour in January 2021?
- Which team beat Liverpool one nil on the 21st of January to bring an end to the clubs unbeaten home record, intact since 2017, and also mark the first time they have beaten them at Anfield in 46 years?
- Who won the 2021 snooker Masters this January?
- Described by the BBC as “the most famous of all streaks” 24 year old Erica Roe took to the pitch during a match at which stadium on 2nd January 1982?
- Which seven time F1 Championship winner was born on 3rd January 1969?
- Denmark and Sweden competed in the final of the IHF World Championship in Cairo on the 31st January, in which sport?
38.Which golfer was nicknamed “The Golden Bear”?
- On January 2nd 1982 Martina Navratilova beat Chris Evert to win the first of three Australian Open singles titles. How many Grand Slam singles titles did she win in total?
- Frank Lampard was sacked as manager of Chelsea in January 2021. Who was he replaced by?
41. Geena Davis celebrated her 65th birthday on the 21st. For which film was she nominated for the best actress Oscar in 1992?
42. British Actress Barbara Shelley died at the age of 88 in January 2021 but for what genre of film was she described as “the number one leading lady”?
43. Which film released in January 1971 starred Richard Attenborough as killer John Christie?
44. Which actor, born on the fifth January 1975, started his career with a guest role in Sex and the City in 1999, and has received eight Academy Award nominations, including one for producing Joker in 2019?
45. Which January born director, producer and composer directed The Fog in 1980, Escape From New York in 1981, The Thing in 1982 and Big Trouble in Little China in 1986?
46. Which iconic romantic comedy, featuring a famous scene in a restaurant, was released on January 12th 1989?
47. Which film depicting The Battle Of Rorkes Drift and starring Michael Caine was released in January 1964?
48. Which member of the Monty Python team uttered the immortal line “he’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy”?
49. Who did Marilyn Monroe marry in January 1954?
50. James Earl Jones, born on the 17th January 1931, is an accomplished actor but is probably most famous for being the voice of which iconic film character?
3.Space Oddity (1969)
9.Nirvana – Nevermind
10.Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger)
13.Mary Shelleys Frankenstein
14.New Orleans Mardi Gras
21.Russell T Davies
26.Alf Roberts (Sadly Bryan Mosley died a month later).
27.Hill Street Blues
30.1990 (It aired as a Christmas special in the previous month but began a regular run in the January)
35.Twickenham (England v Australia Rugby Union)
38.Jack Nicklaus (Born January 21st 1940)
41.Thelma and Louise
43.Ten Rillington Place
46.When Harry Met Sally
48.Terry Jones (died in January 2020 aged 77)