Late equaliser saves Farsley Celtic at Mickleover

farsley celtic
Farsley Celtic beat Colwyn Bay in the league opener.

Farsley Celtic and Mickleover Sports were forced to settle for a share of the spoils after an entertaining 2-2 draw at the Don Amott Arena, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Nathan Cartman opened the scoring for Farsley before Pablo Mills and Andy Dales thought they had earned the hosts the three points, only for Luke Parkin to score a crucial late equaliser.

Nathan Cartman had the first chance of the game for the Celts after being played in by the returning Dan Cockerline, however Mickleover ‘keeper Lewis King made the stop.

Mickleover then had two excellent chances midway through the first-half, debutant Matthew Barnes-Homer heavily involved. The ex-England C international found Jake Scott whose effort was blocked on the line by Kurt Harris. Barnes-Homer was then able to capitalise on a favourable bounce and breach the Farsley defence, only for Graeme McKibbin to make a fine save.

As they half progressed Farsley started to take control, aided by Mickleover’s sloppy passing, and came close when Dan Cockerline’s strike from distance took a vicious bounce right in front of King who was alert to make an excellent save.

It was the Celts who made their dominance count just six minutes into the second-half. Adam Clayton flicked on Ryan Watson’s free-kick to Nathan Cartman who was able to prod home from close range.

However, Farsley’s lead lasted just a minute, as Pablo Mills powered home an unstoppable header into the top corner from Ollie Mulders’ corner.

The Farsley defence was then caught out by a long ball from Jimmy Phillips which found Luis Briscoe, and the referee adjudged Adam Clayton to have brought him down in the box, awarding the hosts a penalty. Graeme McKibbin made a superb save to deny Barnes-Homer’s spot-kick, but it fell straight to Andy Dales who tucked the ball home to complete the turnaround.

The Celts went searching for an equaliser, and Isaac Baldwin was denied by a King save after some delightful one-touch build-up play on the edge of the box from Farsley.

Graeme McKibbin then came to the visitors’ rescue, making a great save to deny Barnes-Homer one-on-one, before recovering to save Luis Briscoe’s follow-up effort.

With ten minutes remaining Nathan Cartman had a glorious chance to pull Farsley level, however he fired wide from 10-yards out.

Ultimately, Farsley were not to rue that missed opportunity as they equalised with two minutes remaining. Ben Atkinson made a terrific run into the box and found Luke Parkin who fired past Lewis King for his third goal in three games, earning the Celts a vital point.

Mickleover Sports: King, Grocott, Morris, Scott, Mills, Burgin © (Horne 24), Dales, Briscoe, Barnes-Homer, Phillips, Mulders (Abalimba 74). Unused subs: Belgrave, Morrison.
Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, L. Turner, Baldwin, C. Atkinson, Harris, Clayton (Parkin 79), Watson (Murray 79), N. Turner (B. Atkinson 79), Ellis ©, Cartman, Cockerline. Unused subs: Trenerry (GK), Walker.
MOTM: Graeme McKibbin
Attendance: 236


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.