Injury time goals thwart Farsley Celtic


Workington scored two injury time goals – including a 96th minute equaliser from Matthew Douglas – to snatch a dramatic point at Throstle Nest as they drew 3-3 with Farsley Celtic, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

Farsley’s James Walshaw hit his first hat-trick of the season, despite missing a penalty, but it was not enough for the three points as Scott Allison and Douglas pounced in injury time for the visitors.

Speaking after the match, Workington manager Dave Hewson was elated with the point, saying:

“To be 3-1 down and dead and buried, and then comeback, you get one back and think maybe just maybe, one more chance, one more ball in the box, who knows what can happen. That’s football, it’s cruel at times, cruel on Farsley, but obviously jubilation for us to come away with a point.”

Workington had taken an early lead as Samuel Joel played through Connor Tinnion who slotted home, following a poor goal-kick from Graeme McKibbin.

However, the hosts responded immediately with Danny Ellis’ cross being flicked on by Adam Clayton to James Walshaw who headed home to equalise.

Midway through the first half Farsley had a chance to take the lead. Paul Walker played a delightful chipped pass on to Luke Parkin who crossed for James Walshaw, but his strike was excellently saved by Aaron Taylor.

Farsley did then take the lead after Paul Walker made a terrific run, with his cross falling to James Walshaw via a deflection, and he smashed home from close range.

The impressive Samuel Joel came close to drawing Workington level, as he twisted and turned on the edge of the box, his effort being pushed round the post by substitute ‘keeper Kyle Trenerry.

James Walshaw almost had a first half hat-trick as he latched onto a terrific through ball from Paul Walker only to drag his shot just wide of the upright.

Farsley were awarded a penalty in the second-half as James Walshaw was pushed over in the box following a Ryan Watson cross, however Workington shot stopper Aaron Taylor made a fantastic save to deny Walshaw his third.

Walshaw hat-trick

Walshaw did secure his hat-trick and thought he’d settled matters with 15 minutes remaining as he intercepted a weak back pass from David Symington and rounded Taylor before slotting home.

Workington were handed a lifeline in the first minute of injury time as Scott Allison found himself in behind the defence and volleyed into the top corner from close range.

And in the sixth minute of injury time Workington’s Matthew Douglas beat Kyle Trenerry in the air from a free-kick to spark jubilant celebrations in the away end.

“Week after week I don’t think the men in the middle are anywhere near good enough…”

Farsley manager Adam Lakeland lambasted referee Matt Sowerby’s performance, saying:

“I don’t know where the referee’s got that time from, he’s added five on for a kick-off which he couldn’t explain.

“I’d bet a lot of money that’s a foul on my goalkeeper at the end, whether he’s right or wrong I’ll only know when I’ve watched the game back, but if he is wrong and it’s a foul which we feel it is, it’s a big mistake.

“At no stage was there any communication about time added on, and week after week I don’t think the men in the middle are anywhere near good enough.”

Line ups

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin (Trenerry 16), Pollard, Baldwin, C. Atkinson, Clayton (Harris 79), Ellis©, B. Atkinson, Watson, Walshaw, Parkin (Priestley), Walker. Unused subs: Porritt, Bett.
Workington: Taylor, Douglas, Rowntree ©, Wordsworth, Smith, Earl (McLuckie 58), Symington, Holt, Allison, Joel (Waterston 76), Tinnion. Unused subs: Wilson, Mellen, Harker.
MOTM: James Walshaw
Attendance: 278






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.