Farsley Celtic earn deserved win at table-topping Gloucester City

farsley celtic new badge

Words: Thomas Ritchie

An outstanding performance saw Farsley Celtic pick up a second win of the league season as they defeated table-topping Gloucester City 2-1.

In truth, the scoreline flattered the hosts, with Farsley dominating the game from the first minute and, but for an excellent performance by Louie Moulden in the Gloucester goal, the result could have looked far more convincing for the Celts.

Adam Lakeland was delighted with his side’s performance, saying:

“I feel like it’s been coming, I know after the Chester game I said I feel like we’re improving, and I feel like we’re not far away from turning some of those games into wins.

“They (Gloucester) are a good side, but I felt we were the better team all game, and I think 2-1 makes the game look closer than it was, I felt we carved out some good opportunities, and really we should have won it by a greater margin.

“But take nothing away from the players, I thought they were superb all game.”

Farsley started really brightly and probably should have gone in front after just five minutes when the ball fell kindly for Paddy Lane in the box, but Louie Moulden made a terrific stop to push wide.

The hosts’ first chance of the game came after their first sustained spell of pressure, and it took a terrific block from Tom Allan to prevent Lewis Brunt’s fierce strike from hitting the target.

On the half-hour mark, Gloucester edged in front against the run of play, Liam Daly heading a corner back across goal for Tahvon Campbell who was in position to flick home from close range.

However, Farsley bounced back from that setback immediately and were behind for less than two minutes, Tom Allan rising highest to guide home Will Hayhurst’s delivery into the top corner.

The Celts started the second-half in a similar vein to how they started the first and could have gone in front when Paddy Lane and Carl Johnston linked-up to set-up Jimmy Spencer, only for the forward to curl wide.

Moulden was then called on to deny Farsley once again, this time saving from Luke Parkin after he was picked out 10-yards from goal by Spencer.

Spencer was involved once more as he released the impressive Lane with a quick throw down the left, Lane skipping past a Gloucester defender before crossing for Johnston who turned the ball just wide at the far post.

The Celts were denied twice more by Moulden in the space of five minutes as he made terrific stops from Spencer and Allan, but with 15 minutes remaining he was finally beaten for a second time.

His goal-kick was straight at Lane who headed the ball through to Spencer who reacted quicker than the Gloucester defence to race through on goal, and he kept his cool to slot home for the goal his performance deserved.

The one opportunity for Jake Cole’s side to draw level came with seven minutes remaining as Dave Syers threw himself in front of substitute Dan King’s strike to make a vital block.

Jake Charles could have added a third when he had a strike deflected wide after a rapid counter-attack, but it wasn’t to matter as Adam Lakeland’s side saw out the closing moments to secure a first away win of the season.

Gloucester City: Moulden, Daly, Morgan, Thomas, James, Mensah, O’Sullivan (Fabien 72), Gunning, Brunt, Campbell, Nicholls (King 57).

Farsley Celtic: Drench, Richards, Hayhurst, C. Atkinson, Allan, Clayton ©, Lane (B. Atkinson 80), Johnston, Spencer, Syers, Parkin (Charles 63). Unused subs: Smith-Brown, Heath, West.

Referee: Claudio Gavillucci

Assistant Referees: Daniel Stokes & Jammie Conde


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.