Farsley Celtic denied by last-gasp South Shields


Farsley Celtic and South Shields will go again on Tuesday after a 1-1 draw at Throstle Nest, Carl Finnigan scoring a 91st minute penalty for South Shields to force a replay and a third meeting between the two sides in two weeks, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

Graeme McKibbin was excellent throughout and looked impenetrable, with a penalty required for South Shields to finally beat the Farsley ‘keeper.

South Shields created a plethora of early chances and should have been in front if not for the heroics of Graeme McKibbin. He twice saved from Gavin Cogdon, once when the Mariners striker was through on goal, but the pick of the saves was from a Robert Briggs’ header as he superbly tipped it round the post.

Briggs came close to giving the visitors the lead again, however a curling effort from the edge of the box was terrifically saved by Farsley shot-stopper McKibbin.

Farsley started to grow into the game with James Walshaw heading just wide from a Ryan Watson cross, and then coming close minutes later as his strike was pushed away to safety by Liam Connell.

Connell saved again to deny Luke Parkin, as he plucked his long range strike out of mid-air as it was heading towards the top corner.

Gavin Cogdon continued to cause problems for the Farsley defence in the second half, as he wriggled free in the box and produced yet another fine save from Graeme McKibbin.

With just over 25 minutes remaining Farsley took the lead with Luke Parkin hooking in a cross and James Walshaw flinging himself at full stretch at the near post to superbly head home.

Walshaw almost doubled Farsley’s lead immediately as he was played in by Paul Walker, with his shot on the turn excellently saved by Liam Connell.

Paul Walker was the next to come close for Farsley as he skipped past two South Shields defenders and then curled agonizingly wide of the upright.

South Shields then piled on the pressure as Farsley sat back and were rewarded with a penalty in added time as substitute Jamie Holmes was fouled in the box. Carl Finnigan coolly slotted home the spot-kick as he sent Graeme McKibbin the wrong way.

The Mariners almost snatched the win in the dying moments with an almighty scramble in the box, Graeme McKibbin eventually making the save, rounding out an excellent performance from the ‘keeper and ensuring that both sides will have a second opportunity to secure progression on Tuesday.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Pollard, Baldwin, C. Atkinson, Ellis ©, Clayton, B. Atkinson (Walker 57), Watson, Walshaw, Parkin, Priestley. Unused subs: Harris, Bett, Trenerry.
South Shields: Connell, Baxter (Nicholson 66), Callaghan (Storey 79), Lough, Morse, Arca ©, Smith (Holmes 57), Briggs, Cogdon, Richardson, Finnigan. Unused subs: Sullivan, Norton.
MOTM: Graeme McKibbin
Attendance: 382






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.