Farsley Celtic grind out Brighouse win


Farsley Celtic bounced back to winning ways as they ground out an ultimately comfortable 2-0 win over Brighouse Town in the West Riding County Cup second round, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

Adam Porritt and Ben Atkinson were on the scoresheet for Farsley, the Celts keeping their first clean sheet since October 7th, but Brighouse kept fighting until the end.

Both sides lacked a creative spark early on, but it was Farsley who produced the first opportunity after a fantastic ball from Ryan Watson found Adam Porritt whose effort was blocked. From the resulting corner Watson shot just wide on the half-volley from the edge of the box.

Brighouse’s Adam Shaw was the brightest player in the early stages as he had a shot deflected wide, before moments later he had an effort blocked by Isaac Baldwin.

Farsley then came close to breaking the deadlock as Paul Walker made an excellent run down the left and found Adam Porritt, only for Harry Stead to make a fine save in the Brighouse goal.

Paul Walker was the next to be denied with Stead saving his low effort, before Ryan Watson failed to capitalise on some excellent build-up play, flashing his shot across the face of the goal and wide.

Just before the hour mark Brighouse almost found the opener as Gabriel Johnson found space in the box, however his strike was cleared off the line.

Adam Porritt then fortuitously gave the Celts the lead, as a horribly over-hit cross crept into the top corner with Stead helpless.

After a brief period of the referee handing out cautions left, right and centre, James Pollard was bizarrely shown a second yellow card for allegedly kicking the ball away, which incensed the Farsley dugout.

However, it failed to have a profound impact on the game as just three minutes later Ben Atkinson cut in from the left, skipped past two defenders and fired home to double Farsley’s advantage against his former club.

Luke Parkin had a fantastic opportunity to seal the victory with 10 minutes remaining as he latched onto Harley Wigley’s misplaced header, only for Harry Stead to race off his line and make a vital intervention.

The hosts almost pulled one back through Ferdinand Annor, however his shot from a tight angle was saved well by Farsley shot-stopper Kyle Trenerry.

Just moments later Isaac Baldwin came inches away from adding a third for the visitors, his curling effort from the edge of the box superbly tipped onto the crossbar by Stead.

Brighouse had a couple of half chances in the closing moments with substitute Aaron Martin firing wide and Ferdinand Annor shooting over, however Farsley were good value for their win.

The Celts will now travel to the winner of the tie between Campion and Albion Sports in the quarter-finals.

Brighouse Town: Stead, Dawson, Annor, Griffin, Wigley, Lees, Haigh, Heeley ©, Johnson (Day 75), Kirby (Martin 58), Shaw (Buchanan 68). Unused subs: Worrall, Field.
Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Harris, Baldwin (Quirke 90), B. Atkinson (Bett 87), Pollard, Clayton ©, Porritt, Watson, Priestley, Parkin, Walker (C. Atkinson 75). Unused subs: Ellis
MOTM: Ben Atkinson
Attendance: 163






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.