Thursday, March 30, 2023
HomeSportTight derby game sees 10-man Farsley Celtic leave Guiseley with point

Tight derby game sees 10-man Farsley Celtic leave Guiseley with point

Words: James O’Reilly

Farsley Celtic and Guiseley were unable to break each other down in a typically tight Leeds derby at Nethermoor that ended in a stalemate.

Whilst both teams had chances to take the spoils, those chances were at a premium in a physical battle, with both defences being rightly praised for their efforts at the conclusion of the match.

- Advertisement -

Farsley started the game as the brighter of the two sides with James Hanson and Tyler Walton announcing their presence to the Guiseley backline early on. The former forced Owen Mason into making a save low down at his near post.

The hosts would have their first chance courtesy of Lebrun Mbeka, though he would be unable to challenge Kyle Trenerry in the Farsley goal as he dragged wide from outside the box.

The Celts then suffered a blow when Jason Akiotu, making his first start for the club, was forced off the pitch with a hamstring injury, and replaced by Will Hayhurst.

Guiseley then came the closest of either side to breaking the deadlock in the first half, the ball ricocheting around the Farsley box before Josh Stones was only able to spoon his effort over the crossbar.

The final chance of the first-half would fall to Farsley, Hanson once again proving to be an aerial threat, but once again his header was repelled by Mason.

Just like in the first half, Farsley would begin the second as the better side but were once again unable to find the all-important opener.

The best of the chances came to Tyler Walton, breaking in behind the Lions defence before unleashing a shot that was parried by the foot of Guiseley ‘keeper Owen Mason.

With just under 15 minutes remaining Marcus Bignot’s side had their best chance of the second period, as Adam Haw got through the Farsley defence, but Trenerry was quickly off his line and did enough to force Haw to prod wide.

A twist then came just moments later, as Tyler Walton, perhaps Farsley’s biggest attacking threat on the day, picked up two yellow cards within minutes, reducing the visitors to ten men for the final ten minutes.

However, that didn’t deter Farsley, who continued to be the side pushing for a winner. 

Having won a free-kick just outside of the Guiseley box, Luke Parkin took it quickly and laid it off to Chris Atkinson, but his thunderous shot towards the Guiseley goal curled just over the bar.

Kian Scales then had a half-chance in stoppage time, as a volley from outside the box flew harmlessly over, and that would be the final chance as both sides were forced to settle for a point, a fair reflection of the contest.

Guiseley AFC: Mason, Cantrill ©, Nicholson, Ekpolo, Hull, Mbeka (Gratton 87), Hollins, Brown, Stones (Hey 73), Thewlis (Haw 73), Hutchinson. Unused subs: Lambton (GK), Metcalfe.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Richards, Akiotu (Hayhurst 18), Clayton, Syers ©, Sutton, Turner (Scales 66), Atkinson, Parkin, Walton, Hanson. Unused subs: Kabeya, Fialdini, Drake.

Attendance: 1,017.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected