‘Leggy’ Farsley Celtic slip to defeat at Hereford

Farsley Celtic remain without a win in 2023 after their 2-0 defeat at Edgar Street. Photo: John Baron

By John Baron. Additional reporting: Thomas Ritchie

Farsley Celtic suffered a second-straight defeat on the road, as they slipped to a 2-0 loss at Hereford on Tuesday evening.

The Celts started on the back foot and never really got going in a poor first half display which saw the hosts dominate possession and take a two-goal lead, thanks to a quickfire double from the lively Miles Storey.

In truth the hosts could have been four up at half time, if it wasn’t for a combination of great goalkeeping by Farsley’s Max Dearnley and some poor finishing.

Just four minutes in the Bulls will have been wondering how they weren’t in front. Dearnley could only divert Orrin Pendley’s header onto the head of Kane Thompson-Sommers, who somehow nodded over with the goal at his mercy.

Dearnley then had to be alert to push Ryan Lloyd’s driving half-volley to safety, before reacting well to tip over Levi Andoh’s cross-cum-shot that almost snuck under the crossbar.

The pressure would ultimately tell midway through the first half, Aaron Amadi-Holloway doing well to divert a deep cross from the left back across the goal for Miles Storey to prod home.

Storey was at it again within minutes, putting his side firmly in control. Farsley lost the ball in midfield, allowing Amadi-Holloway to find Storey once again, this time leaving the forward with more to do, which he did with aplomb, bending home superbly from outside the box.

There were a couple of half chances from Jimmy Spencer and Luke Parkin in the first period, but it wasn’t until around the hour mark that Farsley started to improve as Hereford sat back.

Andy Butler headed straight at Hereford keeper Visser, before Kian Scales came close drilling a first-time strike wide as he ran onto a loose ball on the edge of the box.

Jimmy Spencer then came closest to pulling a goal back with just under 15 minutes remaining, bringing down Dearnley’s long ball and playing a neat one-two with Lewis Butroid, before he fired a strike just over the crossbar.

The hosts were always a threat on the break, Amadi-Holloway squandering a great chance to play in Harry Pinchard, before the Bulls’ number nine then saw his header saved low down.

The Celts would test Visser further, Allan having a header saved, but Hereford would comfortably see out the closing moments to secure the three points, much to the disappointment of the five intrepid Celts fans who made the long trip from West Yorkshire.

Farsley Celtic will look forward to a welcome break from their National League North relegation battle when they entertain Marske United in the fourth found of the FA Trophy at the Citadel on Saturday.

Line ups

Hereford: Visser, Evans, Haines ©, Thompson-Sommers (Holmes 66), Lloyd, Amadi-Holloway (Barnett 81), Pinchard, Storey (McLean 76), Hanson, Pedley, Andoh. Unused subs: Wade, Thompson.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Scales, Butroid, Johnson (Assenso 72), Butler ©, Teale, Allan, Atkinson (Turner 63), Spencer, Ubaezuonu (Syers 78), Parkin. Unused subs: Clayton, Wallace.

Attendance: 1,423.

Match reaction

Celts boss Russ Wilcox was left to lament his ‘leggy’ side’s slow start to the game, while praising the home side. He is looking forward to a run of four home games on the bounce:

Sponsored content


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.