Farsley Celtic frustrated in Bradford (Park Avenue) draw

Applause for the late John Palmer, ahead of the game with Bradford (Park Avenue). Photo: John McEvoy/Leeds Shots

by John Baron

Photos: John McEvoy/Leeds Shots

It was a day which started with a minute’s applause to remember late Farsley chairman John Palmer but ended in frustration on the pitch as The Celts were held to a 2-2 draw by Bradford (Park Avenue).

Not for the first time this season, it’s a game The Celts will feel they dropped two valuable points in their fight against relegation.

An early Farsley penalty was saved by Bradford’s keeper and further missed chances saw the home side frustrated by a battling performance by the visitors, who were reduced to ten men after just 35 minutes.

The eventful game started as an end to end contest, but the first real chance came after just eight minutes when Farsley’s Jimmy Spencer was brought down by Bradford keeper George Sykes-Kenworthy.

But Frank Mulhern’s penalty was too casual, much like his miss in the FA Trophy shootout against Chester, and Sykes-Kenworthy guessed the right way for an easy save. It was a miss that would prove costly.

The visitors took the lead in the 20th minute, a low free kick was sent into the box and forward Preston got a toe on it to send it trickling fortuitously into the bottom corner.

The Celts were level within six minutes. Lewis Butroid sent in a perfect cross from the left and Luke Parkin rose with a deft header to flick it into the bottom corner at the back post for his first goal of the season.

Four minutes later, Farsley took the lead. Mulhern was pole-axed by the Bradford goalkeeper and this time made no mistake from the spot.

On 34 minutes the game looked to swing Farsley’s way, when Bradford’s Reece Staunton was harshly sent off for a foul on Parkin.

Spencer had a big chance to extend Farsley’s lead just before half time, but dragged his first-time shot just wide of the far post with the Avenue defence scrambling. Andy Butler also miscued in front of goal.

The Celts were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal, with Bradford equalising through Jacob Blyth within three minutes of the restart.

Further Farsley chances went begging through Spencer and Mulhern, with Connor Teale hitting the bar.

But a hard-working and determined Bradford outfit held on for a point.

It’s a result which saw Farsley stay third from bottom in the National League North table, despite going four games undefeated. Next Saturday sees the Celts travel to mid-table Alfreton in what increasingly looks like a defining month for the club.

Line up:

FARSLEY CELTIC: Max Dearnley, Kian Scales, Lewis Butroid, Bobby Johnson, Andy Butler (C), Connor Teale, Tom Allan, Carlton Ubaezuonu, Jimmy Spencer, Frank Mulhern, Luke Parkin (Syers, 85). Unused subs: Turner, Assenso, Clayton, Wallace.

Match reaction

Boss Russ Wilcox lamented Bradford’s equaliser early in the second half but said his team had enough chances to win the game.

Sponsored content


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.