Farsley Celtic celebrate West Riding County Cup triumph


Farsley lifted the West Riding County Cup after a thrilling game against Tadcaster Albion, writes Thomas Ritchie.

A Richard Marshall penalty gave The Celts the lead, before Carl Stewart levelled the scores taking the game to penalties, where Paul Walker struck the winning spot-kick.
Tadcaster came flying out of the blocks early on and would have taken the lead but for the Assistant Referee’s flag.

Some poor defending saw Aiden Savory gift the ball to Carl Stewart who’s strike was parried by Farsley ‘keeper Graeme McKibbin straight to the offside Rob Youhill who tapped home before being denied by the officials.
Farsley then came close to taking the lead themselves with three excellent chances in the space of five minutes. After being set up by Richard Marshall a searing half volley from Ross Daly crashed onto the crossbar.

Lamin Colley then skipped past three defenders on a fantastic run before he was denied by Tadcaster shot-stopper Chandler Hallwood, who also denied Richard Marshall moments later.
The problems defensively for Farsley continued, without the reliable Adam Clayton in the heart of the defence, as a long ball from Hallwood split the defence and fell to Carl Stewart, who struck his effort just wide.
Midway through the first half Farsley took the lead from the penalty spot after Richard Marshall was felled by Carl Stewart. Marshall dusted himself down and stepped up to convert the spot-kick to give The Celts the advantage.
But Farsley’s joy was short lived as Tadcaster soon levelled the scores. A sumptuous ball from Conor Sellars picked out Carl Stewart who lashed the ball into the back of the net.
The second half began as the first did with Tadcaster pressing, and Sellars once again fed Carl Stewart who this time shot wide of the target.
Farsley then took back control with a spell of pressure, as Chris Atkinson curled an effort just over and then after being played in by Peter Davidson Richard Marshall dragged an effort just wide.
Both sides came close to snatching victory in the dying moments as the end to end action continued.

Tadcaster came closest as Carlos Djalo played Tom Corner through on goal before a sensational challenge by Nathan Turner prevented the forward from getting a clear shot away.

Farsley then went close themselves in injury time, as they worked the ball around the edge of the box before Richard Marshall got a shot away, only to be denied by Chandler Hallwood in the Tadcaster goal.
With neither side able to find a breakthrough the game headed to the drama and lottery that is a penalty shootout.

With Farsley going first the first three penalties were convered before Tadcaster’s Tom Corner struck the bar and then Richard Marshall blazed his effort over.

Both sides converted to make it 3-2 to Farsley, before Graeme McKibbin made a superb save to deny ex-Celt Josh Grant.

That left Paul Walker with a chance to seal the cup, and he did so as he calmly slotted his penalty away, to make Farsley Celtic the 2016/17 West Riding County Cup Champions.
Tadcaster Albion: Hallwood, Armstrong, Grant, Barrett, Anderson (c), Thirkell, Youhill (Djalo 55), Greening, Corner, Stewart, Sellars. Unused subs: Shepherd, Ingham, Ibrahimi, Heath.
Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Hardy (c), Howarth, Turner, Savory, P. Davidson (Watson 77), Nightingale, Daly, Marshall, Atkinson (Deacey 82), Colley (Walker 71). Unused subs: Morgan, Clayton.
MOTM: Peter Davidson
Attendance: 853






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.