FA Trophy: Farsley Celtic shock Barwell


Farsley Celtic took the scalp of Evo-Stik Premier Division side Barwell as they won a pulsating FA Trophy game 3-2 at the Kirkby Road Sports Ground, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Farsley looked comfortable early on against the higher league opposition, but they conceded after a quarter of an hour when Paddy Miller made a rare mistake, sloppily giving the ball straight to Owen Story who ran into the box untouched gliding past numerous Farsley defenders before he slotted into the bottom corner.

Just after the half-hour mark Farsley drew level as Paul Walker received the ball on the left wing before cutting in and curling a beautiful shot into the top corner.

But The Celts weren’t level for long as from a throw in Luke Barlone flicked the ball on to Eddie Nisevic, who then whipped in a low cross for Owen Story to sweep home for his and Barwell’s second.

Nisevic continued to have an impact on the game as he forced Graeme McKibbin into a save, however Farsley countered following McKibbin’s long ball and Paul Walker crossed to Ross Daly who failed to connect. The ball fell to Alex Davidson at the back post who tapped home to level the scores.

Paul Walker almost put Farsley in front as he cut in from the left before firing goalwards, Max Smith-Varnam making a good save low down.

The Celts started the second half brightly and Smith-Varnam saved smartly from James Walshaw’s low drive.

From the resulting Jordan Deacey corner, Adam Clayton’s powerful header was superbly tipped over the crossbar by Smith-Varnam. McKibbin was then on hand to keep Farsley level as Brady Hickey’s free kick was flicked goalwards and McKibbin made a spectacular save to deny Barwell.

Farsley then went ahead for the first time thanks to a sensational goal, Farsley passing the ball around nicely before Jordan Deacey scooped the ball brilliantly over the defence to substitute Lewis Nightingale who’s thumping volley flew into the back of the net to send the travelling Farsley fans into raptures.

Farsley controlled the remaining minutes with the ball held in the corner for the most-part, with Farsley holding on to win 3-2 and progress to the 3rd qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

Barwell FC: Smith-Varnam, Taylor, Rowe (Carta 67), Towers, Ballinger, Nisevic, Story (Martin 86), Stanley, Barlone (Grouse 78), Hickey (c), Ball. Unused subs: Castle, Edgington.
Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Hardy, Howarth, P. Davidson, Clayton, Miller (c), A. Davidson (Nightingale 57), Daly, Walshaw, Deacey (Savory 86), Walker. Unused subs: Lofthouse (GK), Hazel, Turner.

MOTM: Paul Walker
Attendance: 159


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.