In the third in a series looking at West Leeds buildings and monuments at risk MARK STEVENSON looks at the gas lamps at St Thomas Church in Stanningley.
In 1844 the Pudsey Coal Gas Company won the right to light with gas the township of Pudsey, the village of Farsley, the parish of Calverley and to incorporate a company and levy rates.
Pudsey Coal and Gas Company was located on Kent Road in the 1870’s – the building is still there now.
You may have noticed it in passing it has a clock tower with three clock faces, the clocks been made by the world-famous Potts Clock.
Some of the first places other than public buildings and highways to get gas lamps were churches.
St Thomas Church in Stanningley still has its original gas lamps dating from the 1850’s although they are in a bad state of repair.
It would be interesting to know where they were made as Stanningley was well-known for making them.
There are 18 monuments and buildings at risk in West Leeds.