Thursday, July 25, 2024
HomeSportStoppage-time winner nets Farsley Celtic first league win of season

Stoppage-time winner nets Farsley Celtic first league win of season

Words: Mark Rawlinson

Photos: John McEvoy

Farsley grabbed their first win of the league season thanks to a dramatic stoppage-time winner from Jordan Richards, earning a 1-0 win over Gateshead.

Despite struggling to get a foot-hold in the first half, the Celts grew into the game and secured the three points late on as Richards netted his second goal of the week.

In a first half with few chances, Gateshead created the better opportunities. The first fell on 16 minutes as Kal Griffiths was allowed the chance to shoot, but offered a simple save for Steven Drench to make.

Farsley’s best opportunity of the opening 45 came half an hour in as Jimmy Spencer fled down the right before finding Carl Johnston, but the Fleetwood loanee couldn’t find the target with his shot.

The visitors had a couple of good chances before the interval. Firstly a scooped lob from Jack Hunter found Jordan Preston in the box but Drench got down low to his left post to make the save.

Then two minutes later, Farsley were caught napping from a drop ball situation as Hunter played an aerial ball over to Macauley Longstaff, but once again the experienced Drench kept the Heed out.

The Celts fashioned a great chance from a free-kick on 56 minutes as Will Hayhurst drifted the set-piece in towards the back post. Spencer pulled the ball back across the area and Dave Syers was just inches away from getting a foot on the ball which would have surely converted into a goal.

On 62 minutes, Jake Cooper rose highest from a corner, but the Gateshead man couldn’t direct his header on target.

Then four minutes later, Farsley broke through Jordan Richards who found Spencer and then Tyler Walton out wide. Will Hayhurst picked up the ball and swung in a great cross towards Spencer who got a snap-shot sight at goal, but Gateshead shot-stopper James Montgomery pulled out a vital save to keep it goalless.

More last-ditch defending kept the hosts out again on 74 minutes. From a corner, the ball had found its way out to the back-post and the unmarked Johnston, but the teenager was denied his first Farsley goal as Griffiths stuck out a leg to block the ball behind for a corner.

Drench pulled off another brilliant save four minutes from time to keep Farsley level. The ball hadn’t been cleared allowing Jordan Cook a shooting opportunity from a few yards out, but Drench denied the sub from point-blank range.

But Farsley pinched the winner at the death as Richards bagged his second goal in as many games.

Spencer latched onto a long ball which drew Montgomery off his line, and the striker then managed to pick out the on-rushing right-back. The former Hartlepool man picked his spot, firing past two covering defenders to spark euphoric scenes on the home touchline.

Farsley Celtic: Drench, Richards, Smith-Brown (B Atkinson 67), C Atkinson, Allan, Clayton, Johnston, Walton (Charles 72), Spencer, Syers, Hayhurst.
Subs not used: West, Parkin, Lane.

Gateshead: Montgomery, Nicholson, Smith, Dale, Langstaff (O’Donnell 88), Hunter, Olley (Garner 78), Griffiths, Cooper, Deverdics, Preston (Cook 62).
Subs not used: Male, Ward.

Referee: Dale Baines.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected