Rusty Farsley Celtic slip to pre-season defeat against York City


Farsley Celtic opened their pre-season account with a 4-1 defeat against a strong York City side who were ultimately too good for The Villagers, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Both sides showed signs of rustiness early on, but York were able to capitalise upon their opportunities more than their hosts.

The early stages of the game were cagey as both sides settled back into their rhythm after two months away, however it was York who settled the quickest.

Farsley failed to clear a corner and, as the ball was crossed back into the box, Danny Parslow was on hand at the far post to nod home from close range.

Farsley almost responded immediately as a sublime long ball forward from Ryan Watson found Adam Priestley, on his return to Farsley, who saw his effort blocked.

Priestley was again involved moments later as he latched onto a delicate flick by Paul Walker before his shot was blocked, with Walker’s follow up scrambled away through a combination of goalkeeper Jon Worsnop and his defence.

Midway through the half York doubled their lead as the experienced Jon Parkin found himself in acres of space in the area and was able to sweep home from close range.

The Celts did respond through James Walshaw as he was played through by a terrific Priestley pass before he clipped the ball over Worsnop and into the goal.

York were able to re-establish their two-goal cushion shortly before the break after a Simon Heslop cross picked out Jon Parkin who was once again in space and able to tap home.

The game was all but over as a contest ten minutes into the second half as York broke down the right flank through the lively Kaine Felix, who slotted home past Farsley ‘keeper Jake Lofthouse.

Ryan Edmondson then had a pair of fantastic chances to extend York’s lead. Firstly, he powered wide a free header from a long Sam Muggleton throw, before he then headed another fantastic opportunity wide ten minutes later.

Farsley continued to test York and five minutes from the end almost narrowed York’s advantage. Ryan Watson swung in a low free-kick that was cleverly flicked on by Luke Parkin, producing a superb save from Luke Simpson.

The visitors had one final opportunity to add to their lead, however Sam Muggleton saw his free-kick palmed away by substitute ‘keeper Kyle Trenery before Farsley were able to scramble the ball clear, York winning convincingly 4-1.

First half:

Farsley Celtic: Lofthouse, Harris, Baldwin, C. Atkinson, Ellis ©, Clayton, Priestley, Watson, Walshaw, Marshall, Walker.
York City: Worsnop, Law, Whittle, Parslow, Bencherif, Moke, Heslop, Newton, Almond, Morgan-Smith, Parkin. Unused sub: Thompson.

Second Half:

Farsley Celtic: Lofthouse (Trenery 71), Pollard, Baldwin (Walker 77), B. Atkinson, Ellis © (Harris 65), Clayton (Watson 81), Priestley (C. Atkinson 71), Watson (Marshall 72), Walshaw (Caulfield 71), Deacey (McDermott 58), Parkin.

York City: Simpson, Porritt, Gordan, Sukhar, Rogerson, Wharton, Muggleton, Smith, Felix, Edmondson, Rankine. Unused subs: Thompsom.

MOTM: Kaine Felix

Attendance: 411






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.