Sir;- Further to your report on the fire at St John’s Church in Wortley in 1891 it may interest you to know that Eleanor Coleman is my grandmother and it was during my research into the family tree that I found out about this fire and the part our grandmother played in it.
As you could imagine it was a great shock to those of us still living as none of this was known to the grandchildren’s generation.
We can only speculate what she went through as she was a orphan at the time of the fire, her mother having died six years before, and this after her father walked out on his wife and three children seven years before. I hope you find this of interest?
- Maurice White, Clova Gardens, Ripon