Friday, June 21, 2024
HomeSportPenalty shoot-out heartache as Farsley Celtic exit FA Trophy at Gateshead

Penalty shoot-out heartache as Farsley Celtic exit FA Trophy at Gateshead

Farsley Celtic exited the FA Trophy in heart-breaking fashion as they suffered a 4-2 penalty shootout defeat to National League side Gateshead.

Russ Wilcox’s men had already achieved the club’s best-ever run in the competition by reaching the quarter-finals, and they pushed the higher-ranked Heed all the way in a goal-less 90 minutes.

In fact, it was James Montgomery in the host’s goal who was the busier of the two goalkeepers, particularly in the first half when the Celts carved open Gateshead on a number of occasions.

Farsley almost took the lead in spectacular fashion after just three minutes when Montgomery was spotted off his line by Bobby Johnson, with the midfielder’s long-range effort landing on the roof of the net.

Mike Williamson’s side would dominate possession, particularly in the second half, but the Celts were a consistent threat on the break, particularly through the speedy Theo Williams.

Carlton Ubauzuono in action at the Gateshead International Stadium. Photo: John McEvoy

Williams linked up with Kian Scales as the two burst forward following a Gateshead corner, with the Sheffield United loanee shooting straight at Montgomery.

Carlton Ubaezuonu then came close to opening the scoring as his half-volley from 25-yards out flew just wide of the upright, before at the other end Keaton Ward and Aaron Martin linked up in the box, with the former lashing over from 10-yards out.

On the stroke of half-time, Williams once again troubled the Heed defence with his burst of pace, tearing down the left and breaking into the box only for Montgomery to make another vital stop.

As the half-time whistle blew, the 131 travelling Farsley Celtic fans were left wondering how their side wasn’t ahead and whether they would rue their missed chances.

Farsley Celtic fans gave vocal backing to their side at Gateshead. Photo: Megan Fleming

After the break, Gateshead began to push the Celts deeper as they looked to force the action, but the occasions on which they actually troubled Max Dearnley in the Farsley goal were rare.

Oli Thompson got his volleyed attempt from 12 yards out all wrong, whilst Ward forced Max Dearnley into a low save to push the ball away from the bottom corner.

Yet it was Farsley who came closest in the second half, with Frank Mulhern almost scoring a sensational goal, even by his ridiculous standards.

The ball bounced midway inside the Farsley half and he launched a booming strike towards the Gateshead goal, with the backpedalling Montgomery just about managing to claw off his line and to safety.

Ultimately, the tie would need penalties to find a winner, and although Gateshead’s Aaron Martin failed to hit the target, two fine saves from Montgomery allowed Kamil Conteh to fire his side into the semi-finals.

Match reaction

Celts boss Russ Wilcox said he was proud of his team’s performance in a match he felt they would have won in the 90 minutes. He hailed the huge achievement of being the last National League North club in the competition and admitted his side were ‘gutted’ by the defeat.

Line ups

Gateshead: Montgomery, Richardson (Thompson 11), Storey, Williamson, Pye, Magnay, Tinkler, Conteh, Ward, Campbell, Martin. Subs not used: Marschall (GK), Elliott, Franklin.

Farsley Celtic: Dearnley, Turner, Butroid, Johnson, Butler ©, Clayton, Williams, Atkinson, Ubaezuonu (Allan 70), Mulhern, Scales. Subs not used: Syers, Wallace, Parkin, Jessop, Morgan (GK).

Next match

The Celts entertain Leamington in a crunch game in the battle to stay in the National League North on Tuesday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected