Words & photos: Mark Stevenson
Christ the King Church on Kings Approach, Bramley was built in 1928. The church was built on the initiative of Mgr William Hawkswell, secretary to Bishop’s Gordon and Cowgill, to serve the new housing developments at Sandford, Wyther, Westfield and Greenthorpe.
As it was a new church it never had a graveyard. Prior to the church being built the land was owned by Joshua Burton occupied by Joseph Hill.
The plot of land the church is built on was called Cause Close and was a grass field.
Joshua Burton, who owned the plot, also owned large parts of Eightland Lane and the plot where the house where singer David Bowie’s family once lived.
Read more of Mark Stevenson’s regular column on West Leeds’ history here.