Late penalty drama denies Farsley Celtic win against Tamworth

Farsley Celtic's Jordan Carroll celebrates his goal against Tamworth. Photo: Simon Culllingworth

By John Baron. Photos: Simon Cullingworth

Farsley Celtic maintained their unbeaten run with an entertaining 2-2 draw at home to Tamworth – and were only denied all three points by a dubious stoppage time penalty.

Man of the match Darren Stephenson and Jordan Carroll had given the Celts a 2-1 lead after Tamworth had gained a deserved first-half lead, only for the home side to be denied their first home win of the season when the referee harshly pointed to the spot for hand ball in the 91st minute.

The new-look Celts were missing three defenders through injury and suspension and the point means they remain unbeaten in their first five games.

The newly-promoted visitors had the better of the first half, pinning The Celts back for long spells, particularly in the opening half-hour, and creating a number of chances.

It was no surprise when Tamworth finally took one of those chances, with Jamie Willets atoning for an earlier miss by heading home to give the visitors the lead.

Clayton Donaldson is highly marked by the Tamworth defence. Photo: Simon Cullingworth

Although Tamworth were creating chances and dominating possession, Farsley still had opportunities of their own. Marley Blair, operating at left wing back, saw his shot and follow up well saved by Tamworth keeper Leon Phillips, and Clayton Donaldson was unlucky to see his shot crash off the bar.

Ben Atkinson drilled home but was flagged offside and Rudy Misambo came close with a header which forced an outstanding save from Phillips.

The second half opened with Farsley the better side. And they deservedly equalised on 53 minutes when a quality cross from substitute Isaac Robinson was finished well by Stephenson at the back post for his third goal in five games.

And the home side deservedly took the lead when Jordan Carroll cut in from the right before firing his strike into the bottom right hand corner 15 minutes’ from time.

Farsley then defended well as a unit and looked to be seeing out the final few minutes of the game before controversy struck. The referee judged that Conor Branson had blocked a Tamworth shot with his arm.

Ben Milnes stepped up and found the side netting with his penalty in stoppage time to ensure an entertaining game ended level at two goals each.

Match reaction

Farsley coach Danny Ellis said he felt hard done by with the ‘harsh’ penalty decision but praised the side’s performance against a strong Tamworth side:

Next match

Farsley travel to Chester on Bank Holiday Monday, hoping to make it three consecutive wins on the road. Kick off is 3pm. Supporters’ information can be found here.

Sponsored content

partnership sunny bank mills new


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.