Thursday, June 1, 2023
HomeSportFarsley earn point but spurn chances at Lancaster City

Farsley earn point but spurn chances at Lancaster City

Farsley Celtic were forced to settle for a point as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Lancaster City on a mild October afternoon at the Giant Axe, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Farsley extended their unbeaten run to five games thanks to Adam Clayton’s equaliser, but had more than enough opportunities to take all three points, which would have been fully deserved.

The game started quietly as both sides settled into their rhythm, but it was the hosts who created the first opening with Oliver Wood winning the ball in the Farsley box before flashing his effort over the crossbar.

- Advertisement -

Midway through the first-half Lancaster came close again, with Paul Dugdale’s dangerous free-kick falling to Richard Mercer, but he saw his effort blocked.

Farsley then had a terrific opportunity to take the lead as they started to play some nice football, Adam Porritt finding Luke Parkin down the right with Parkin crossing to a wide-open Paul Walker six yards out, but his effort was just over the bar.

Lancaster then took the lead against the run of play with Mercer left unchallenged in the penalty area to head home Sam Bailey’s corner.

That sparked the visitors into life and Ryan Watson found James Walshaw who saw his fierce effort strike the crossbar. Watson was the architect again as he found Adam Priestley, but Josh Powell was quick off his line to save at Priestley’s feet.

Farsley started the second-half on the front foot as Ben Atkinson twice forced saves from Powell.

Firstly, he had a curling effort from the edge of the area pushed away to safety, before he fired in a low effort across goal which Powell did well to get a hand to. The ball did bounce up and appeared to strike a Lancaster hand, but the referee waved away the Farsley appeals.

Scott Harries forged Lancaster’s first opportunity of the second half as he found space 12-yards from goal, however his curling effort drifted inches wide of the upright.

With 20 minutes remaining Farsley deservedly levelled with an identical goal to Lancaster’s opener, as Adam Clayton powered home his header from Luke Parkin’s corner.

Farsley then set siege to Lancaster’s goal with four chances in as many minutes, the best falling to Ben Atkinson as he turned the ball over the crossbar from close range after Paul Walker’s delivery.

Lancaster then thought they had taken the lead with five minutes remaining as the ball was bundled into the net after a dangerous free-kick from Paul Dugdale, however it was disallowed for offside.

Josh Powell came to Lancaster’s rescue twice in the closing moments, as he superbly saved a powerful Ryan Watson drive after great holdup play from Walshaw, before shortly afterwards he excellently pushed Isaac Baldwin’s free-kick to safety.

Neither side was able to find the back of the net in the remaining minutes, with both sides forced to settle for a point, despite both sides having plenty of chances throughout the 90 minutes.

Lancaster City: Powell, Hudson, Dugdale, Williams, Steel (Winder 60), Mercer ©, Bailey (Tam 74), Hibbert, Wood, Carney, Harries (Muelensteen 83). Unused subs: Akrigg, Mayers.
Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Porritt, Baldwin, Watson, Ellis ©, Clayton, Priestley (Pollard 60), B. Atkinson, Walshaw, Parkin, Walker. Unused subs: Bett, Quirke, Trennery (GK).
MOTM: Joshua Powell
Attendance: 271






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected