Farsley Celtic’s unbeaten start ended by comfortable Chester

Clayton Donaldson in action for Farsley Celtic. Photo: John McEvoy

By Niall Togher

Farsley Celtic’s unbeaten start to the season came to an end with a 2-0 defeat away against Chester.

Chester made a fast start, taking an early lead and were clinical in front of goal to race into a 2-0 lead in under 15 minutes.

Despite the game settling down after this, Farsley were unable to find a way back into the game and had to play the last half an hour or so with ten men after Conor Branson was dismissed.

Chester took the lead within the first five minutes with the first shot of the game. Elliot Whitehouse was alive in the box and able to side foot his effort in from close range after a low cross was drilled across the face of goal.

The hosts continued to dominate early on and doubled their lead before the 15-minute mark when captain George Glendon was picked out spectacularly at the back post and was able to nod his effort past Leban in the Farsley goal.

Leban prevented Farsley from conceding a third before the 20-minute mark when he tipped Iwan Murray’s powerful attempt from range around the post.

After half an hour, Chester had another opportunity when Whitehouse found space down the left flank and delivered a ball into the box which was tipped away well by Leban, but it fell into the path of Kole Hall. Just before Hall could tap the ball into an empty net, Rudy Misambo was on hand to slide in and block the shot.

Farsley’s first real chance came when Joao Silva was played in well by Darren Stephenson just before half time. Silva was one on one with the defender and shifted the ball onto his left foot well, but his shot was saved by Chester keeper Wyll Stanway at his near post. It was the Celts’ only meaningful attempt on goal all afternoon.

Chester started the second half the faster of the two teams. Whitehouse thought he had bagged himself a brace when he found the back of the net again after a tidy Chester
move, but he was flagged offside.

Conor Branson was dismissed on the hour mark for Farsley after he brought down Kole Hall just outside the box, with the referee deeming him to have denied Hall a goal-scoring opportunity. Hall was unable to convert his free-kick however, as it sailed over the bar.

Leban made another exceptional save in stoppage time when he tipped Declan Weeks’ volley over the crossbar to keep the score at 2-0.

Farsley are back in action when they welcome King’s Lynn Town to the Citadel where they will be looking to extend their unbeaten run at home to four games whilst claiming their first home win of the season in the process.

Match reaction

Farsley Celtic head coach Clayton Donaldson said his side’s slow start – and a sloppy first goal – hurt the ‘leggy’ Celts. He also voiced his concerns over Branson’s sending off, which he felt was harsh as The Celts had players covering.

Sponsored content

Bramley Baths partnership 1


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.