Tuesday, June 25, 2024
HomeSportFarsley Celtic rise to second after another 4-1 win

Farsley Celtic rise to second after another 4-1 win

Farsley Celtic rose to second in the league with their second consecutive 4-1 win in this week, as they came from behind to defeat promotion rivals Glossop North End, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Glossop led at the break courtesy of Adam Jones’ effort, before goals from Adam Clayton, Jordan Deacey and a James Walshaw brace saw Farsley earn a terrific victory.

Glossop came out with a high intensity and pressing the ball, which saw them dominate the first half. Max Leonard had a free-kick tipped around the post by Farsley ‘keeper Graeme McKibbin, but from the resulting corner Glossop took the lead.

Paul Dugdale’s corner was headed towards goal by Adam Jones and despite the best efforts of Aaron Hardy to make the clearance the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line.

Richard Marshall had a glorious chance to draw Farsley level, as Paul Walker’s cross came to James Walshaw who appealed for a penalty under pressure from a defender, before the ball rolled through to Marshall who struck the crossbar from 10 yards out.

Glossop ‘keeper Matthew Cooper was then forced into action, saving Jordan Deacey’s flick from point blank range before a James Walshaw free-kick deflected just wide with Cooper beaten.

Glossop failed to keep up their high speed pressing from the first half, and instead invited Farsley to move onto the front foot.

The Celts snatched that opportunity with Peter Davidson seeing his header cleared off the line by Paul Dugdale, before Adam Clayton hauled Farsley level, powerfully heading home Ryan Watson’s excellent free-kick.

Within minutes Farsley had taken the lead as Paul Walker played through James Walshaw who swivelled on the edge of the box before firing past Cooper.

Jordan Deacey extended Celtic’s advantage, Matthew Cooper only managing to punch Paul Walker’s cross straight to Deacey who tucked the ball home.

James Walshaw then had a couple of opportunities to score, Cooper saving the striker’s header before his free-kick from 30 yards out struck the base of the post with Cooper stranded.

Glossop tried to grab a foothold in the game once more and Karl Jacobs almost pulled a goal back, his header from Dugdale’s corner cleared off the line at the far post.

The points were secured with five minutes remaining, Paul Walker winning the ball in midfield and Ryan Watson then playing a sublime through ball to James Walshaw who slotted home to send The Celts second in the league and keep the pressure on leaders Lancaster.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Hardy (c), Howarth, P. Davidson, Clayton, Savory, Marshall, Watson, Walshaw (Colley 87), Deacey (Atkinson 87), Walker (Nightingale 87). Unused subs: Daly, Serrant.

Glossop North End: Cooper, Ali, Dugdale, Griffith (c), Jones, Andrews, Mulholland (Jones 71), Hurtley, Norton (Reed 71), Leonard, Matthews (Jacobs 71). Unused subs: Parker, Heeley.

MOTM: Adam Clayton

Attendance: 201


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected