Farsley Celtic denied third straight win by fellow strugglers Telford

Telford fans throw a flare on the pitch following their equaliser at the Citadel. Photo: John McEvoy

Words: Josh Makin

Photos: John McEvoy

Farsley Celtic were held to a 1-1 draw at the Citadel after a second-half equaliser from fellow strugglers Telford United stopped Russ Willcox’s team from moving further up the league table.

The match got off to a scrappy start with neither side creating much in the way of chances until Frank Mulhern’s audacious attempt from outside the area nearly found its way into the top left corner, sailing just wide.

Farsley began to take charge of the game and 22 minutes in they broke the deadlock. Luke Parkin picked up a loose cross in the box and fired into the bottom left corner to send the large home crowd into raptures.

Luke Parkin celebrates his second goal in two games. Photo: John McEvoy

After the opener, the Celt Army continued to push on and almost doubled their lead seven minutes later. Adam Clayton latched onto a free-kick that looked destined to go out of play, forcing Telford ‘keeper Luke Pilling into making a save at the near post.

Telford eventually grew more into the game and six minutes before the interval they fashioned their first effort on goal when Devarn Green forced Kyle Trenerry into a save low in the box.

The second half began with Farsley almost adding to their advantage, Lewis Butroid getting on the end of an overlapping pass from Parkin and pulling the ball back to Hayhurst only for the winger’s effort to be cleared.

Frank Mulhern threatens the Telford goal. Photo: John McEvoy

After the hour mark, the momentum began to shift with Telford enjoying more possession and creating more pressure.

And fifteen minutes before the final whistle, they had their equaliser as a scramble in the Farsley box saw Jason Oswell hook for the ball across to Devarn Green, who nodded into an open net. The goal came just a minute after Farsley had a chance cleared off the line.

Both sides pushed to get in front in the closing minutes, with Telford looking the more likely to score, however the match ended even.

The result leaves Farsley 21st in the table, one place and two points above Guiseley who have a game in hand. Next week the Celt Army travel to third-placed AFC Fylde with kick-off at 3pm. 

Farsley Celtic boss Russ Wilcox said a draw was the right result, but rued missed chances during the first half when Farsley were on top:

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Turner, Digie, Clayton, Butroid, Atkinson, Walker (Leroy-Belehouan 78), Hayhurst (Gratton 85), Greaves, Parkin, Mulhern. Unused subs: Jessop, Westcarr (GK), Malumo.

AFC Telford United: Pilling, Piggott, McNally, Flowers, Burke, Nolan, Ward (Evans 64), Daniels (Moore 57),Marshall (Goodridge 64), Oswell, Green. Unused subs: Melhado, Streete.

Attendance: 736


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.