Sunday, April 2, 2023
HomeSportFarsley Celtic continue unbeaten run in battling Chorley draw

Farsley Celtic continue unbeaten run in battling Chorley draw

By Billy Dawson

Farsley Celtic earned an important point at home against playoff-chasing Chorley, making it five games unbeaten and seven without defeat at home.

Farsley had to battle for a 0-0 draw against a tough opponent, with both sides adjusting their play to match the conditions in a game of few clear-cut chances.

- Advertisement -

Arguably it was a game Farsley would probably have lost a couple of months ago, with the home side showing their battling qualities and mental toughness.

It was a tough first half for Farsley who were forced to battle against the elements, and were likely to be the happier of the two sides going into the break goalless.

The best chances of the opening 45 minutes would fall the visitors’ way, the first coming only six minutes in. Joe Nolan worked himself some space just inside Farsley’s 18-yard box, but dragged it just past Max Dearnley’s right-hand post.

Farsley boss Russ Wilcox looks on at The Citadel. Photo: Simon Cullingworth

The second big chance of the half fell to Chorley’s number nine Jack Sampson, who proved a handful for the Farsley defence, but he could only fire over with his left foot on this occasion.

The remainder of the first half was scrappy, as Harry Jessop had very little to work with up front for the Celts.

Farsley’s best and only chance of the half came from an in-swinging Lewis Butroid corner, Adam Clayton rising highest but failing to direct his header goalwards.

Farsley came out much brighter in the second half, and Matt Urwin was the first goalkeeper called into action, saving low down from Carlton Ubaezuonu’s strike after 57 minutes.

On the hour mark Chorley had arguably their biggest opportunity to break the deadlock, but Jack Sampson could not keep his header down from eight yards out and the ball looped onto the top of the Farsley net.

The game continued to be scrappy as both teams searched to create a chance that would give them the breakthrough. One nearly arrived for Farsley courtesy of captain Andy Butler whose header was blocked on the line, before Urwin dived on the loose ball.

Farley’s Carlton Ubaezuonu had the home side’s first shot on target after 57 minutes. Photo: Simon Cullingworth

As the match came to a close it was Farsley pushing for the winner.

Substitute Nat Wallace fashioned an opening late on as he cut the ball onto his left foot inside the penalty area, but his shot was straight at Urwin who held on gratefully.

Overall, it was a well-earned point for the Celts, who fell back into the National League North relegation zone following Leamington’s unlikely win over high-flying Darlington, but are now just a point behind Bradford with two games in hand.

Farsley travel to Kettering Town on Tuesday night for another big National League North relegation scrap.

Match reaction

Farsley Celtic boss praised the players’ battling qualities after three tough away games.

Line ups

Farsley Dearnley; Scales, Butroid, Johnson, Butler (c), Allan, Clayton, Atkinson, Ubaezuonu, Jessop (Devine, 75), Parkin (Wallace, 75). Subs not used: Assenso, Morgan.

Chorley Urwin; Henley, Smith, Wilson, Leather (c), Nolan, Whitehouse, Sampson, Ustabaşı, Shenton, Hall. Subs not used: Blakeman, Johnson, Drench, Scarborough, Kay.

Sponsored content


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected