Words: Lou Cunningham
Armley Christmas lights will be switched on this Saturday, 4 December on Armley Town Street to coincide with Small Business Saturday.
This Winter Wonderland celebration, organised by the Armley Action Team, will be firework- free and will feature a host of surprises before the 6pm switch on.
- 11am-1pm Christmas market at St Bart’s Church.
- 1pm-5.30pm Armley Town Street Candy Cane Hunt (call into Cake Craft for an entry form).
- 1pm-5.30pm Visit Santa in the grotto at St George’s Crypt Shop and post your letter.
- 3.30pm Festive window displays will be judged. WLD reported on the contest earlier this week.
From 3.30pm join free activities on Armley Town Street from the council’s youth services team, West Leeds Activity Centre, the Story Bus and New Wortley Community Centre.
Look out for friendly elf helpers and litter pickers too. See how many of the Armley Yarn bombers festive knitted attractions you can spot. Also, keep an eye out for Ronnie the Rhino and the Curious Christmas Contrivance!
We are delighted to have the award-winning fantastic Peg Alexander back to host the staged events
- 4pm Performance by Purple Rain Majorettes.
- 4.15pm Christmas carols by Born to Perform.
- 4.45pm The one and only Eric Spike on stage.
- 5.10pm Announcement of festive window display winners.
- 5.30pm Armley’s own Louis Louis Louis.
- 6pm Light Switch On.
The evening will be rounded off with an encore from Louis Louis Louis.
Some of the shops will have offers on to coincide with Small Business Saturday and some will be staying open later than usual.
This event has been made possible through funding from the Armley councillors, via the Inner West Community Committee and the Welcome Back Fund which has been granted to Leeds City Council by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).