Armley Christmas lights will be switched on this Saturday 7th December – with the celebration event being firework-free for the first time, writes Keely Bannister.
Hosted by Radio Aire, the switch-on show is taking place from 5pm until 6pm on Town Street and will feature Leeds Rhinos stars Richie Myler and Callum McLelland as well as Ronnie the Rhino.
There will also be activities throughout the day building up to the switch-on show including:
- 10am to 2pm – Santa is popping by and bringing his grotto to St George’s Crypt shop
- 10.30am to 1pm – St Bartholomew’s Church are hosting a Christmas market with face painting taking place between 11am and 1pm
- 2pm to 4pm – Armley Leisure Centre are face painting, giving out free one day fitness passes as well as offering deals on membership sign ups and children parties
- 3pm to 4pm – Judging of the Christmas Shop Window displays along Town Street will take place. Dispatch editor John Baron is one of the judges.
- 3.30pm – Community choir Sing Armley will be performing outside the St George’s Crypt shop
- 3.30pm to 6pm – Terry Atha’s funfair will be open on Town Street
- All day there will be a candy cane hunt, spot the elf and offers in local shops to mark Small Business Saturday.
To accommodate the day, Armley Town Street will be closed between 12pm and 10pm with buses which serve the road (CT Plus run 81 & First run 15, 16, 16A, 86) diverting via Wesley Road, Tong Road and Carr Crofts.