A building which will have its permanent home on a community led farm in Kirkstall has been nominated for a prestigious Leeds architecture award.
Taking place for the first time since 2019, the Leeds Architecture Awards are a collaboration between Leeds Civic Trust, Leeds Society of Architects, Leeds City Council and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
A final shortlist of 15 has been announced, with the winners due to be revealed at a ceremony at the Howard Assembly Room on November 1.
Among the shortlist is the WOW Barn, which is an accessible, inclusive pop-up space that was built by 300 women, girls and non-binary people over the course of just 24 hours at Cinder Moor, Woodhouse, earlier this year as part of the LEEDS 2023 cultural celebrations.
Kirkstall Valley Farm has since been announced as the barn’s long-term home. The farm is run by community organisation Kirkstall Valley Development Trust.
The shortlisted schemes and architects are:
- Leeds Playhouse: Page\Park
- Leeds School of Arts: Hawkins\Brown
- WOW Barn: LEEDS 2023 and The WOW Foundation
Buildings (up to £10m in value)
- Maggie’s Yorkshire Centre, St James’s Hospital: Heatherwick Studio
- Young People’s Cabin, St Gemma’s Hospice: ArkleBoyce Architects
- Newlyn Building, University of Leeds: dla architecture
Buildings (more than £10m in value)
- 11 & 12 Wellington Place: tp bennett
- Sir William Henry Bragg Building, University of Leeds: ADP Architecture
- Globe Point: Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- The Majestic: dla architecture
- First White Cloth Hall: Buttress
- Opera North’s Music Works: Enjoy Design
Public realm & landscape
- Leeds Footbridge: Gagarin Studio
- Stourton Park and Ride: Mott MacDonald
- Playhouse Gardens: re-form landscape architecture