Farsley Celtic slip to Halifax pre-season defeat


Words: Thomas Ritchie
Photos: Simon Cullingworth

Farsley Celtic were defeated for the first time in the build-up to the 2019/20 campaign, losing 1-0 in a hard-fought game to FC Halifax Town.

Josh Staunton’s early goal proved to be the difference between the sides, however Adam Lakeland’s side more than matched their higher-ranked opponents for much of the match.

Farsley, captained by Adam Clayton as Danny Ellis was on the bench, thought they had taken the lead inside five minutes when Nathan Cartman turned home a superb cross from Will Hayhurst. But referee Akeel Ahmed adjudged that Cartman had used his hand to control the ball, and disallowed the goal.

After 10 minutes National League side Halifax made the breakthrough, as Josh Staunton got free in the box to head home Jack Earing’s corner from six-yards out.

After Farsley had a couple of half chances, the visitors had a great chance to doubled their lead. Staunton was once again picked out by Earing in the box, but this time the defender’s first-time strike was saved low down by Elliott Wynne.

Shortly after the interval Wynne had to be at his best to prevent the Shaymen adding a second, reacting quickly to save at the feet of Tobi Sho-Silva after he latched onto Clayton’s back pass, before he was able to push away Earing’s follow-up.

Just minutes later Ben Atkinson had the best chance to draw the Celt Army level, Cartman cleverly allowing Chris Atkinson’s pass to run through to Ben Atkinson, who fired into the side netting from 15-yards out.

Halifax then had an excellent opportunity to finish the game off when Jamie Allen was put through on goal by Cameron King, however Kwame Boateng raced back and made a terrific challenge on Allen as he prepared to shoot.

With five minutes remaining Farsley had the ball in the back of the net again as Danny Ellis headed home Hayhurst’s delivery, but once again it was disallowed, this time for a push by Ellis.

Despite a strong spell of pressure in the closing moments from Farsley, the visitors were able to withstand the Farsley onslaught and hold on to a victory in their opening game of pre-season.

Farsley Celtic: Wynne, Richards (Boateng 61), Baldwin, C. Atkinson, Higgins, Clayton ©, B. Atkinson (Ellis 73), Walton, Walker (Parkin 61), Cartman, Hayhurst. Unused subs: Trenerry (GK), Bett.
FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Duckworth, Trialist, Clarke, Staunton, Maher, Hanson, Earing, Sho-Silva, King, Allen. Subs: Appleyard, Freedman, Trialist, Trialist.

Referee: Akeel Ahmed
Attendance: 396


Local news is in crisis. Can you help?

These are challenging times for local news providers – and producing your daily dose of West Leeds Dispatch comes at a cost!

We’re a small, community-led news organisation which needs your support to keep delivering quality journalism. We want to continue to maintain our openness and protect our precious independence – and above all to connect people with what’s happening in their part of West Leeds. Every reader contribution, big or small, helps us to do that.

For as little as £4 a month (£1 a week) you can support us – and it only takes a minute.

Or set up a standing order with your bank: Contact us on Paywestleedsdispatch@gmail.com if you’d like to do this.

Your support will make a difference. Thank you.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.