Farsley Celtic secure dramatic promotion after Ossett thriller


Farsley Celtic won promotion in dramatic style as a late Richard Marshall equaliser sent the game to extra time before terrific strikes from Ryan Watson and James Walshaw sent Farsley into the Evo-Stik Premier Division, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Earlier Adam Clayton had headed Farsley in front before Ossett Town completed a dramatic turnaround through a Danny Frost brace, but nultimately Farsley had too much for their opponents as they earned a terrific 4-2 victory.

Victorious manager Neil Parsley said after the game:

“I think we’ve played great football this season, we’ve scored 108 league goals, playing a brand of football we like to play. Today’s a reward for the players who’ve dug in when we seemed to be down and out and it’s a great feeling.”

Both sides had chances in the first half but failed to convert. Farsley had a great chance early on as Paul Walker whipped in a free-kick towards James Walshaw, however he failed to direct his effort into the back of the net.

On the stroke of half-time Danny Frost produced a fabulous save from Farsley shot stopper Graeme McKibbin as he fired towards the top corner on the turn, only for McKibbin to claw the ball away.

Farsley deservedly took the lead early on in the second half after a succession of corners, with Lewis Nightingale’s excellent delivery finding the unmarked Adam Clayton, the centre half powering home for his 15th goal of the campaign.

As Ossett went searching for an equaliser, Farsley sat deeper. Ossett were rewarded with 20 minutes remaining as Nathan Curtis flicked the ball through to Danny Frost who this time got the better of McKibbin as he slotted home.

The turnaround was then completed in the 87th minute as Martin Pembleton found Danny Frost who lobbed the ball over McKibbin to seemingly break Farsley hearts.
Due to an earlier injury to referee Andrew Sykes, who was replaced by Michael Barlow, there were seven minutes of added time which gave Farsley real hope.

And in the second of those Richard Marshall turned home at the back post after Aiden Savory’s low cross somehow made its way into his path, which sent the game into extra time.
That equaliser seemed to knock the stuffing out of Ossett heading into extra-time, and manager Grant Black said:

“I feel disappointed, deflated, gutted for the lads more than anything. We’ve done things this season nobody expected and we should be proud of ourselves. We were four minutes away from winning it but their equaliser just took it out of us.”

Pitch invasion at Farsley Celtic. Photo: West Leeds Dispatch

The first period of extra time was a cagey affair with the best chance falling to Ossett’s Nathan Curtis, who had his low shot tipped around the post by Graeme McKibbin.
Ryan Watson then handed Farsley the crucial advantage in the second period as from 25 yards out he lashed the ball into the top corner, despite Ossett goalkeeper Leigh Overton getting a hand to the ball.
Just two minutes later the victory and promotion was all but secured as the division’s top scorer James Walshaw cut in on his left foot, skipping past Ossett defenders before curling a superb strike into the top corner to secure his 50th goal of the season in style, and spark jubilant celebrations amongst the bumper home crowd.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Hardy (c), Chris Howarth, Peter Davidson (Daly 43), Clayton, Savory, Nightingale, Marshall, Walshaw, Deacey (Watson 80), Walker (Atkinson 96). Unused subs: Turner, Morgan.
Ossett Town: Overton, Andy Hawksworth, Ashley Jackson, Jason Yates, Tyrone Gay, Isaac Assenso (Riley 91), Pembleton, Peterson (c) (Lucas 63), Frost (Mackie 90+3), Curtis. Unused subs: Paylor, Wright.
MOTM: Adam Clayton
Referee: Andrew Sykes
Attendance: 829.






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.