Monday, November 28, 2022
HomeNewsWork to re-start at Rodley's Moss Bridge - but still no finish...

Work to re-start at Rodley’s Moss Bridge – but still no finish date

Work is set to re-start on building a new Moss Swing Bridge over Leeds and Liverpool Canal following delays – but there’s still no firm finish date in sight.

As previously reported by WLD, a new Moss Swing Bridge over the canal is being built to link to a planned housing development in Rodley. It was supposed to be installed and open by May, but work had failed to progress as expected.

The delay had caused concern to volunteers at both Rodley Cricket Club and Rodley Nature Reserve, which both rely on the bridge for easy access.

- Advertisement -

Councillors have blamed the developer Dynamic Capital for removing the old bridge too early – a claim denied by the developers, who blamed the delays on late changes to the design of the bridge.

In an update this week, Councillor Peter Carlill (Lab, Calverley & Farsley) said council planning officers have been chasing approval for the bridge’s structure from all parties. The understructure has now been approved to allow work to resume and work on pilings is expected to re-start in the next two weeks.

He said external stakeholders are still not satisfied with the details of the swing bridge itself, and council planning officers are working to ensure agreement can be made. He is also chasing a final programme of works from the developers. Cllr Carliil added:

“Unfortunately these works began without the details being submitted and approved as was required, leading to these unnecessary delays between removing the bridge and installing the new one.

“I will continue to work on this to ensure the delays are minimised and a new bridge or temporary access is provided as soon as possible. Any issues, please contact me on peter.carlill@leeds.gov.uk.”

Last month developers suggested an August finish for the replacement bridge, but this is still to be confirmed. All six councillors in both Bramley & Stanningley and Farsley & Calverley wards are pushing for a completion schedule from the developers.

Cllr Carlill said he had raised serious concerns about emergency vehicle access to the nature reserve, cricket club and others, and confirmed a new gated emergency access road has therefore been built from the Horsforth side. He added:

“The main priority now is getting a new bridge in as soon as possible, hence why I’m pushing for a completion schedule as soon as possible. If this is some time away then I will be asking for a temporary structure to be provided.”

Developers have previously said they were doing all they can to minimise disruption to the community.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected

3,172FansLike
518FollowersFollow
3,761FollowersFollow