Friday, November 27, 2020
Home News Burley: New home plan on historic lodge site causes concern

Burley: New home plan on historic lodge site causes concern

A new house could be built on the site of a historic former lodge house in Burley, much to the concern of residents and councillors.

Applicant Mr K Malik has applied for retrospective permission to build a new dwelling on grounds formerly associated with St Anne’s Villa, off Burley Road.

The proposals create a new dwelling in place of the original lodge house, the total demolition of which was approved in 2014.

But substantial works have taken place both internally and externally prior to approval for a new build on the site.

A report to be considered by councillors at next Thursday’s South and West Plans Panel meeting says works already carried out include the removal of the side and rear walls, removal of previous rear extension, and the building of partial new walls to front, sides and rear. It adds:

“As only partial demolition has taken place and new build has commenced without permission this application has been submitted to regularise the works.

“It is due to the extent of wall removal that the application has been submitted as a new dwelling, rather than as extensions to the existing dwelling. ”

The report adds:

“This former lodge building has been lost almost in its entirety due to the removal of a substantial number of walls and the roof, coupled with previous loss of chimneys.

“This was formerly an attractive and characterful building although badly in need of upkeep and repair.

“The loss is regrettable, however a previous application to demolish the lodge was approved in December 2014. “

There have been eight objections to the plans, including the developer starting work without planning approval, over dominance and loss of privacy, materials not in keeping with the original building and the development appears to create a new dwelling within the historic property.

Residents say the works should preserve a historical feature.

But council officers are advising the plans be approved, subject to a raft of conditions, including advising the council over materials used and the installation of an electric car charging point.

The report concludes:

“Whilst the proposal raises a number of concerns such as the poor outlook from the living room, the loss of the original building and the poor amenity space, this decision is finely balanced between the harm these issues raise and the benefits of trying to retain a piece of local heritage with a viable and practical use going forwards.

“The proposal before Members is considered to comply with both national and local planning policy and provides a balance between reflecting on what was there previously whilst providing a home that is more appropriate to today’s living standards.

“Given the previously approved applications, including approval for demolition, it is considered the current scheme creates a limited impact upon visual or residential amenity and is acceptable in highway safety terms.”

The council report can be read in full here.

Support us

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Apartments form part of new Lower Wortley Road housing plans

Plans for a row of four terrace houses and a block of 14 apartments have been submitted in Wortley.

Cold water swim will fundraise for families in need this Christmas

A West Leeds woman is joining her colleagues in a cold water 'Santa Swim' to help raise money to support families in...

Kirkstall’s Hannah Bithell nets prestigious councillor ‘Covid Hero’ award

Kirstall Ward councillor Hannah Bithell has scooped a prestigious 2020 Councillor Award for Covid-19 Hero. This evening Cllr Bithell...

Leeds to push to move into tier 2 in mid-December

Words: Richard Beecham The leader of Leeds City Council said Leeds would make the case to Government to...

Stay Connected

2,492FansLike
449FollowersFollow
3,259FollowersFollow