by Paul Abraham
It was celebrations all the way at the Bramley Buffaloes Presentation night held at the West Leeds Rugby Union Club on Friday, 20 October.
Despite the horrendous weather outside, a packed clubhouse enjoyed an evening to celebrate a magnificent season which saw the brilliant Buffaloes win the league championship and reach the final of the YML Shield.
Dan Booth was rewarded for his many brilliant performances by collecting three awards while Tom Langton was presented with a special award to celebrate reaching 100 appearances for the “Buffs” when he reached the milestone against Nottingham Outlaws.
Chair Martyn Cheney, the Buffaloes’ committee and the dedicated and hard-working coaching staff deserve immense credit on achieving such a wonderful season, when weeks before the season started there was a very serious chance of struggling to register 17 players for the first league game.
Through perseverance and a “never give up” attitude the club ended the season with a playing squad of 40 players.
The club is in its healthiest position for many years and are looking for sponsors old and new for the 2024 season, with sponsor packages available for every budget. The future is bright, the future is amber and black!
The full list of deserved winners is:
- Doug Barker Trophy for Top Points Scorer – Martin Loveridge
- Mike Stephenson trophy for Top Try Scorer – Dan Booth
- 100th Game Salver – Tom Langton
- Ron Cheney Award for Most Improved Player – Lewis Johnson
- Ernest Humphries Trophy for Young Player of the Year – Lewis Gaunt
- Larry Keough Memorial Trophy for the Supporters Player of the Year – Dan Booth
- Captains Player of the Year – Jacob Oldroyd
- Roy Tinsley Memorial Trophy for Players Player of the Year – Dan Booth
- Colin Ellis Memorial Trophy for Coaches Player of the Year – Sam Neave
- Dave Cromack Award for Man of Steel 2023 – Cameron McLachlan