Thousands of runners will head down the A65 Kirkstall Road on Sunday 27 October 2019 for the annual Abbey Dash – but which roads will be closed and for how long?
If you’re taking part in this year’s race, or will be watching from the sidelines cheering on friends and family, then this is everything you need to know:
There are three races happening on the day with a junior race and a wheelchair race supporting the 10k Leeds Abbey Dash.
You’ll find the key times here:
The junior race – 8.10am
The wheelchair race – 8.55am
The dash race – 9.30am
The races start from The Headrow, continuing onto Kirkstall Road, Commercial Road and Abbey Road to Kirkstall Abbey.
The runners will then come back down A65 into the city centre, finishing on Westgate and The Headrow.
Here are the road closures and opening times for affected roads in the Kirkstall and Burley area …
- West Street – Kirstall Road to Park Lane (5am-2.30pm)
- Willow Road – Kirkstall Road to Burley Road (8am-1pm)
- Kirkstall Road – West Street to Commercial Road (8am-1pm)
- Commercial Road – Kirkstall Road to Abbey Road (8am-1pm)
- Bridge Road – Commercial Road to Savins Mill Way (8am-1pm)
- Abbey Road – Abbey Walk to bridge Road (8am-1pm)
A full list of road closures can be found here.
The following diversions will be in place:
1. Kirkstall Leisure Centre junction – Morris Lane, Abbey Walk, Abbey Road A65, Ring Road A6120, Rodley Lane A657 and Armley Road A647.
2. Savins Mill Lane junction – Leeds and Bradford Road B6157, Rodley Lane A657 to Ring Road A6120 and then follow signs for Headingley or Abbey Road A65
3. Cardigan Fields – No diversion route possible, this area is locked in
4. Shell Garage/viaduct junction – South of Kirkstall Road -Armley Road A647, A657 to Bramley, Ring Road A6120 and then follow signs for Headingley or Abbey Road A65. North of Kirkstall Road – Burley Road, Kirkstall Hill, Morris Lane, Abbey Road A65, Ring Road and finally Armley Road.
Local bus services will face disruption during the road closures. More on bus alterations can be found here.
Leeds Train Station will be closed from 11.40pm on Saturday 26 October to 11.40am on Sunday 27 October. After this time there will be a limited service until 4am on Monday 28 October.
Entries close at midnight on Thursday, 24 October.
Abbey Dash is run by Age UK.
Value this information? Then support the Dispatch below:
When roads are closed for events (Abbey Dash etc) in Headingley and Kirkstall on so many Sundays in a year drivers need to know which routes are open so that we may be able to cross the city without wasting a great deal of time. Please make open routes more widely known.
Many thanks. Bishop John McOwat.