Saturday, June 22, 2024
HomeSportFarsley Celtic slip to defeat at table topping Warrington

Farsley Celtic slip to defeat at table topping Warrington

Warrington Town moved top of the Evo-Stik Premier Division with an excellent 4-2 win against Farsley Celtic, with the second-half played in driving rain at Cantilever Park, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

Tony Gray scored twice for the hosts as well as Connor Hughes and Sean Williams, while James Walshaw and Paul Walker were on the scoresheet for the visitors.
Warrington manager Paul Carden was elated to move top of the division, saying:

“It was an excellent win, I thought for the first 20-25 minutes we were really good and we scored a good goal.”

Warrington started brightly and after a terrific ball by Liam Goulding, Rory McKeown pulled back for Abou Sanogo who fired over when well-placed 12-yards out.
McKeown came close to opening the scoring himself as he was picked out by Sean Williams, however his volley was well held by Graeme McKIbbin.
The hosts then took a deserved lead as a pin-point cross from Abou Sanogo found Tony Gray who guided his header back across goal superbly and into the top corner.
James Walshaw then hauled Farsley level, as he was felled in the box by James McCarten, and stepped up to convert the spot-kick.
Farsley could have gone in front as Isaac Baldwin made a terrific, driving run down the left flank before feeding James Walshaw who was denied by a fantastic Tony McMillan save.
Tony Gray was involved once again as Warrington regained the lead on the stroke of half-time as he turned supplier and delivered a low cross to Connor Hughes who was on hand to tap home.
Warrington started the second-half much the better side in torrential rain, with Abou Sanogo striking the post after being played in by Dylan Vassallo. Tony Gray then made a great turn on the edge of the box and fired past Graeme McKibbin into the bottom corner to double the Yellows’ advantage.
Farsley did find a route back into the game as they countered through Adam Priestley who played in Paul Walker, his low effort from the edge of the penalty area finding the back of the net.
However, the three points were wrapped up in injury time, as Richard Marshall gave the ball away to Abou Sanogo, who was initially denied by a fine McKibbin save, however McKibbin then tripped Sanogo with an outstretched hand. Sean Williams stepped up to convert and secure the 4-2 victory, sending Farsley home empty handed.
A frustrated Adam Lakeland said:

“I’m obviously disappointed, I thought first-half we were the better side, played some good football, we just weren’t ruthless enough and we got into so many good positions in the final third and I just felt we didn’t ask enough questions of them.”

Warrington Town: McMillan, Goulding, McKeown, Barnes, McCarten ©, Baker (Higgins 45+1), Vassallo (Richards 79), Williams, Gray, Hughes (Mwasile 69), Sanogo. Unused subs: Kinsella, Jerome.
Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Harris (Marshall 63), Baldwin (Parkin 80), C. Atkinson (Deacey 80), Pollard, Clayton, Priestley, B. Atkinson, Walshaw ©, Watson, Walker. Unused subs: Porritt, Trenerry.
MOTM: Tony Gray
Attendance: 251







Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected