New memorial woodland may be set opposite Kirkstall Abbey


Plans to create a memorial woodland off the riverbank of Leeds-Liverpool Canal near Kirkstall Abbey are set to be approved by senior councillors next week.

‘Life for a Life’ Memorial Forests is a registered charity that offers bereaved members of the public an opportunity to commemorate the loss of a loved one primarily by planting trees at designated sites, often with commemorative plaques.

The preferred site is unmanaged grassland next to Leeds Bradford Road with views across to Kirkstall Abbey which the council has no plans or resources to develop. After 30 years, ownership of the woodland – and its new trees – would revert back to the council.

The woodlands can include picnic tables and benches. The charity in turn distributes around 80% of income to health- related organisations with the remaining 20% used to manage the scheme and maintain other sites around the country.

The report – which can be read in full here – concludes:

“There are mutual benefits to be gained by the ouncil and the charity in entering into an agreement to utilise the land identified for a memorial woodland.

“Leeds residents will gain the option of choosing a memorial woodland as a form of remembrance, and in due course the city will gain an established woodland accessible to all those who wish to visit.

“There is the potential for local health-related organisations to benefit from funds redistributed as part of the scheme.”

Leeds City Council’s executive board meets next Wednesday in the Civic Hall at 1pm.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.