Friday, June 21, 2024
HomeSportLate drama as Farsley Celtic crash out of FA Cup

Late drama as Farsley Celtic crash out of FA Cup

An injury time goal from Theo Bailey-Jones put Stalybridge Celtic through to the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round at the expense of Farsley Celtic, as Stalybridge ran out 2-1 winners, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Heading in to the game bottom of the Evo-Stik Premier Division, Stalybridge earned a morale-boosting win whilst Farsley slumped to back-to-back defeats.

Earlier new signing Liam Dickinson had given Stalybridge the lead before Farsley captain James Walshaw equalised just moments later with a superb finish.

Liam Dickinson had a fantastic chance to give Stalybridge an early lead as he was picked out in the box by Aidan Chippendale, however from close range he failed to hit the target.

Farsley then countered through Paul Walker down the left flank, who made a superb run before whipping in a cross to Ben Atkinson, who’s header flew wide of the target.

Aiden Chippendale continued to create opportunities as he saw his shot blocked before it eventually fell to Liam Dickinson who fired home from ten yards out.

However the visitors responded immediately, with Kurt Harris bravely heading the ball on to James Walshaw, the forward turning and firing home on the half-volley with a terrific finish.

Stalybridge went looking to regain the lead and almost did through Alex Honeyball who found himself through on goal, only to be denied by Graeme McKibbin who made a great save.

On the stroke of half-time Farsley could have taken a crucial lead as Kurt Harris played a nice ball through to James Walshaw, who twisted and turned his way past the Stalybridge defence before Joe Slinn made a fine save.

Stalybridge came flying out of the blocks to begin the second-half, with Liam Dickinson having a shot well saved by McKibbin from a tight angle, before he also made an excellent stop to prevent Aaron Burns handing Stalybridge the lead.

Substitute Paul Ennis was the next to threaten for the hosts, as the ball fell to him in the box with McKibbin forced in to making a good save.

Farsley then had a chance to snatch the victory as a long ball forward from Ben Atkinson picked out Adam Priestley, who cut inside before firing inches over the crossbar.

But it was left to Theo Bailey-Jones to have the final say, as the ball fell to him on the edge of the box and he drove a low effort through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner, sparking wild celebrations from the home dugout.

Stalybridge Celtic: Slinn, Morton (c), Neville, Brown (Gary Gee 86), Ashworth, Honeyball, Chippendale (Bailey-Jones 60), Roberts, Burns, Wolfenden (Ennis 44), Dickinson. Unused subs: Tongue, Jones, Langford.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Harris, Baldwin, C. Atkinson, Pollard, Clayton, B. Atkinson, Watson (Priestley 64), Walshaw, Cartman (Porritt 90), Walker (Parkin 73). Unused subs: Marshall, Trenerry.

MOTM: Graeme McKibbin
Attendance: 289






Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Posts

Stay Connected