Farsley Celtic win makes it three on the bounce

farsley celtic 1
Photo: John McEvoy

Words: Thomas Ritchie

Photos: John McEvoy (john_p_mcevoy@hotmail.com)

Farsley Celtic made it three wins in a week against top-seven opposition with a 2-0 victory over AFC Telford at the Citadel.

Goals in either half from Jimmy Spencer and Dave Syers were enough the Celts to take all three points, with the visitors struggling to adapt to the conditions and break down a resolute Farsley defence.

Action from The Citadel. Photo: John McEvoy

Adam Lakeland was pleased with the way his side ground out the victory, saying:

“It was just an efficient performance really, it wasn’t pretty.

“It’s the time of year now here, we know it’s not going to be the greatest spectacle, and you’ve got to adapt.

“People might moan and people might say it’s not how they want to see the game played, but at the end of the day football’s about winning games, and I thought we deserved it.”

The first real opening of the game came to Farsley inside 10 minutes as Will Hayhurst laid the ball off to Luke Parkin, but the diminutive forward’s effort was always bending away from goal.

Claimed by the keeper. Photo: John McEvoy

The Celts weren’t to be deterred, and took the lead courtesy of a stylish team move. Luke Parkin laid off Steven Drench’s long ball with his chest for Jordan Richards, who swung in a superb cross for Jimmy Spencer to head home inside the box.

Telford almost responded through Lee Vaughan, who picked up the ball on the right edge of the penalty area, and was only denied by a superb Drench save as he flew to his right.

Running down the wing. Photo: John McEvoy

Jason Oswell then twice came close to levelling as his initial header was blocked on the line by Tom Allan before he flashed the follow-up wide.

Whilst the visitors began to see most of the ball, Farsley continued to be a threat, particularly down the right. 

And as the half drew to a close Parkin had another good opportunity after Richards and Spencer combined to find him on the edge of the box, but he curled his effort wide.

The biggest chance of the second half for the visitors came with around 20 minutes remaining. Left-back Eddie Jones drilled an effort into the six-yard box that struck Jack Byrne, and bounced agonisingly wide for the Bucks.

Celebrations as The Celts go 2-0 up. Photo: John McEvoy

Just moments later Farsley almost doubled their lead when Spencer and Parkin linked-up, with the latter setting-up substitute Ben Atkinson, who saw his low strike tipped wide by Russell Griffiths.

The visitors’ hopes of clawing their way back into the game were then dashed as they were reduced to 10 men. 

Dom McHale, who was a real threat all afternoon, received his marching orders for a second caution after throwing the ball at a Farsley man on the ground.

The Celts then wrapped up the three points in the closing minutes as centre-half Dave Syers, up for a free-kick, carved out a shooting opportunity in the box, and lashed the ball past Griffiths into the back of the net.


Farsley Celtic: Drench, Richards, Hayhurst, C. Atkinson, Allan, Clayton ©, Walton (B. Atkinson 71), Johnston, Spencer (Charles 87), Syers, Parkin (Smith-Brown 90+2). Unused subs: Kelly, West.

AFC Telford United: Griffiths, Vaughan, Jones (Hardy 84),, Streete, Walker ©, Bond, McHale, Oswell, Byrne, Lilly, Davies (Barnes-Homer 89). Unused subs: Williams, Meppen-Walters, Rawlins.

Referee: Paul Brown
Assistant Referees: Adam Brown & Henry Naylor.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.