Farsley Celtic: Second half goal blitz defeats Ossett Albion


Farsley progressed to the second round of the Integro league cup in front of a few hardy souls, defeating local rivals Ossett Albion, thanks to a second half goal blitz with three goals in five minutes, writes Thomas Ritchie.

Farsley started the brighter and Jacob Hazel created the first opportunity, making a great run before firing wide of the target.

Ossett then took the lead after Daniel Brynes curled in a free-kick at the near post beating Farsley ‘keeper Jake Lofthouse, who should have done better after getting both hands on the ball.

Midway through the half Farsley had a chance to get back in the match after Hazel crossed to Walshaw who was felled in the box. Richard Marshall stepped up to take the spot kick however his penalty was superbly saved by Jordan Bradshaw.

Farsley continued their pressure and Walshaw had a glorious opportunity to score after he was superbly picked out by Paul Walker but saw his header spectacularly saved by Bradshaw who showed excellent reactions.

The Celts had another chance when Lewis Nightingale’s cross was knocked down by Walshaw to Walker who blasted over from 12 yards out when you would have expected him to score.

Chances were limited in the early stages of the second half however the game burst into life, shortly after the impressive Steve Nicholson left the field for Ossett on 70 minutes, when Farsley right back Peter Davidson cut in from the right and fired home from 25 yards out with a spectacular effort.

And within five minutes Farsley had gone from desperately searching for an equaliser to sitting comfortably, as Lewis Nightingale powerfully struck home before Jordan Deacey played through James Walshaw who fired a terrific low shot across goal and into the bottom corner from outside the area.

The Celts then received an unexpected late scare thanks to a wonder goal from Albion’s Declan Dawson, beating numerous Farsley players before curling his effort perfectly into the top corner.

Ossett Albion then went searching for the equaliser and threw everything at Farsley and after a few scrambles in the area, and with Ossett ‘keeper Bradshaw in the Farsley box, The Celts broke away and Jacob Hazel shot into an empty net from just inside the Ossett half to secure his sides progression through to the next round.

Ossett Albion: Bradshaw, Yates, Dawson, Paylor, South (c), Nicholson (Riordan 69), Matthews, Hassanyeh, Joynes (Hardaker 78), Eyles (Muller 46), Brynes. Unused subs: Woodward, Ndlovu.

Farsley Celtic:
Lofthouse, P. Davidson, Howarth, Marshall, Savory (c), Daly, Nightingale, A. Davidson (Walker 17), Walshaw, Deacey, Hazel. Unused subs: Clayton, Turner, McKibbin (GK).

MOTM: James Walshaw

Attendance: 70


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.