By Dean Patrick
Mark your calendars, because this Sunday, August 27th, is set to be a day of vibrant artistic celebration across Bramley & Stanningley.
Organisers behind the very first arts and culture festival is poised to take the neighbourhood by storm, offering an array of exciting free events that will captivate residents and visitors alike.
The events include:
12noon-3pm Bramley Baths
2pm-5.15pm Bramley Park
- 2pm-6pm Trinity Methodist Church
- 7pm-late Bramley Villagers Club
From 12noon to 3pm, the historic Bramley Baths will open its doors for swim sessions. A highlight of the day here will be at 1.30pm, when the Bramley Mermaids grace the pool with a mesmerising performance of aquatic artistry.
The following swimming times are available so you can plan your day and enjoy the other activities in the area. 12 – 12.45pm12.45pm – 1.30pm1.30pm – 2.15pm2.15pm – 3pmIn the unlikely event that the pool is full for any of the sessions there will only be a short time to wait until the next session. The session will be family fun swim i.e. no lane in the pool. No need to book, just come along and enjoy the fun!
The excitement doesn’t end there. From 2pm to 5:15pm, Bramley Park will transform into a hub of entertainment, hosting an brilliant lineup of local acts on the Park Stage in following order
- Leaving Overmorrow: This acoustic-loving band will entertain the audience with their well-known songs and blended vocal harmonies.
- Dazl Dance: Prepare to be dazzled by the impressive dance routines presented by Dazl. Their dynamic performances will leave you energised.
- Bramley Parish Theatre Players: Immerse yourself in a medley of pop songs and tunes from beloved musicals, courtesy of this ensemble of pantomime characters and dancers
- The Bandstanders: Join the fun with this ukulele band that will not only entertain with well-known tunes but also invite the audience to sing and play along.
- Class Act: Be amazed by the talents of young performers as they bring to life songs from popular musicals like Matilda and School of Rock. Their enthusiasm and skill promise to leave a lasting impression
- Clare Brook vocalist: Clare will sing delightful renditions of well-known songs that are sure to be enjoyed by all.
- The show will be held together by local comedian Maxine Wade.
In addition to these captivating performances, the festival offers a variety of other engaging activities on Bramley Park:
Fairy Garden: Step into a world of enchantment with performers, arts and crafts, face painting, and engaging stories that will transport you to a magical realm.
Bramley Park Bowling Club: Embrace the spirit of community as the Bowling Club opens its gates for an open afternoon of free-play crown green bowling. Gather your friends and try your hand at this classic and social sport
- Bouncy Castle, Lawn Games, and Coconut Shy: Enjoy family-friendly activities that will delight young and old alike. There’s something for everyone.
- Refreshment Stalls and Vendors: Satisfy your taste buds with an array of delectable treats and refreshing alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Discover The Gift in Bramley and Stanningley: In celebration of our communities, artist Keith Khan has created 33 special motifs, one for each ward of the city. Transformed into a special woven textile featuring these 33 artworks, discover and try on a collection of unique garments designed by local makers. Strike a pose with your community, and have your picture taken, wearing your city with pride.
Other events include:
- Cultural Exploration at Trinity Methodist Church From 2pm to 6pm, Trinity Methodist Church will come alive with a celebration of culture through captivating displays and interactive activities. Refreshments will also be available here.
- A Warm Community Welcome The Church extend an open invitation to everyone to join in this community celebration. Come together on Sunday at 10:30am for an act of worship that reveres the spirit of unity and community that binds us together.
- Showcasing Bramley’s Artistic Brilliance Bramley boasts a wealth of exceptional artists who masterfully wield paint, pencil, fabric, thread, and photography skills within our ward. Be inspired as members of our community take part in an exhibition and demonstration of their craft, proudly displaying an essence of our culture.
- Art After Loss: A Healing Expression Full Circle Funerals have embarked on a deeply meaningful journey through the Art After Loss project. This initiative embraces the therapeutic power of art, photography, music, poetry, collage, and fabric creation as ways to cope with loss and bereavement. An exhibition with beautiful creations will be on display at Trinity Church. The hope is that these shared expressions will inspire others to find solace and support through art.
- A Mural of Remembrance and Creativity The wall of the Full Circle premises onlooking Town Street will display remembrance and positivity through a mural designed by local community members. This ongoing project aims to honour those who have passed away in a creative and uplifting light. You will be able to contribute to this communal masterpiece by crafting a ‘mosaic leaf tile’ that will become a part of the mural. Workshops will be held in the upcoming months, allowing you to play a meaningful role in this artistic endeavour.
- Journey Through History: Bramley’s Photographic display For history enthusiasts, Bramley History Society has curated a fantastic photo exhibition at Trinity Church. Explore hundreds of captivating images that narrate the evolution of our community over time.
- An Evening of Entertainment As the sun sets, the festivities continue at Bramley Villagers Club with an evening of vibrant entertainment. Join us for an open-mic night from 7pm, featuring an in-house live band with talented vocalists. There will be other acts too. All welcome – tickets not essential.
- The Bramley & Stanningley Arts and Culture Festival promises a full-day of artistic immersion and community camaraderie that’s not to be missed. Join us on August 27th for an unforgettable experience that celebrates the vibrant spirit of our neighbourhood.
- Let’s come together to revel in some of the talents and creativity that make Bramley & Stanningley truly special. Check out the event website here.