The earliest record of Armley Mills dates from the middle of the sixteenth century when local clothier Richard Booth leased ‘Armley Millnes’ from Henry Saville.
Ownership changed several times up to 1907 when the company Bentley and Tempest took over the entire site and this continued up to 1969, when production ceased and Leeds City Council bought the building in recognition of its historic importance.
Working conditions in the mills were unregulated and frequently appalling, children were particularly vulnerable to exploitation and abuse, working long hours in terrible conditions. In one notorious case in 1832 a child died in a Leeds mill when he was not allowed to stop work to go to the toilet.
Staff have reported dark shadows crossing their path, the feeling of hands brushing over their hair and faces and the sounds of children crying or shouting have been heard by staff and visitors. The presence of a large and angry man has also been sensed by visiting mediums.
Saturday 2nd November
8pm until 1am
£49 per ticket
**Limited to 25 Guests**