Saturday, April 5, 2025
HomeNewsCouncillors object to Stanningley McDonald's drive thru plan

Councillors object to Stanningley McDonald’s drive thru plan

By John Baron

All three Bramley & Stanningley councillors have formally objected to plans for a McDonald’s drive-thru restaurant off Stanningley Town Street.

The plans – revealed by WLD last month – could create around 70 new full and part-time jobs and will include a new access road from Town Street, an outdoor dining area and a 32-space car park.

McDonald’s claim the new drive thru will create 130 construction jobs, followed by 70 jobs once it opens at the former Infinity Metals site.

Following concerns raised by councillors and residents, McDonald’s has also reduced opening hours from 24 hours a day to 6am to midnight, seven days a week.

A banner was put up last month opposing the proposals, but was later removed. Photo: Kelvin Wakefield



But ward councillors have formally objected to the plans before the closing date for comments earlier this week, citing concerns over anti-social behaviour, noise, smell, traffic and litter.

Councillor Tom Hinchcliffe (Lab, Bramley & Stanningley) said: “It’s clear that this development would only add to the existing road safety issues in the immediate area. The increase in vehicle movements alongside the proposed housing development adjacent will add to existing highways pressures.

“The road leading to the proposed development is already an extremely busy highway particularly when buses pull up and stop traffic going one way.

“Given the area is already hosting a vast number of takeaway restaurants, adding another would only exacerbate health concerns and problems in Stanningley due to the ease of access to unhealthy food.”

Councillors Tom Hinchcliffe, Adele Rae and Kevin Ritchie.

In her objection, Councillor Adele Rae (Lab, Bramley & Stanningley) said: “The operation of a McDonald’s restaurant, especially one that may operate late into the night, is likely to generate significant noise.

“This includes noise from customers, delivery trucks, and the general operation of the restaurant. Such noise would disrupt the peace and quiet of the residential area, especially during nighttime hours.

“Fast food establishments are often associated with increased litter in the surrounding area. The presence of a McDonald’s could lead to more waste being discarded improperly, which would negatively affect the cleanliness and aesthetic appeal of the neighbourhood.”

Councillor Kevin Ritchie (Lab, Bramley & Stanningley) said: “The increased traffic and resultant exhaust fumes will be detrimental to air quality in the area. Bramley & Stanningley Ward already has a high prevalence of childhood asthma and hospital admissions. 

    “The local area already has a disproportionately high number of fast food takeaways on Town Street Stanningley.

    “This development would add to the problems they create, noise, litter, traffic and is not congruent with the desire for a varied mix of businesses we want to have on our high streets. Bramley & Stanningley Ward already has higher than the city average obesity and related health issues. This development, due to the nature of the food would inevitably exacerbate that.”

    The plans and documentation can be viewed in full here.

    The council is currently aiming to decide the application by the end of the month, although that date will move if plans go before councillors sitting on a plans panel at Leeds Civic Hall.

    Sponsored content

    www.sunnybankmills.co.uk



      LEAVE A REPLY

      Please enter your comment!
      Please enter your name here

      This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

      Recent Posts

      Stay Connected

      3,172FansLike
      518FollowersFollow
      3,859FollowersFollow