Wortley Grammar School was initially founded by the bequest of Samuel Sunderland in 1677, writes Mark Stephenson.
This new building opened in 1814 and closed as a school in 1909. The school motto, carved on the wall inside the school was Tenete Bonum (‘hold to the good’).
The first schoolmaster was a Mr Joseph Brooke and under his care the school attained a degree of excellence that saw its pupils well prepared for the life ahead of them.
Mr Brooke died in 1863 and was greatly missed by the people of Wortley.
In 1909 the school closed and the building was sold to a John Pond, who was a Blacksmith.
Over the years the building on Lower Wortley Road has been used as a engineering works, bakery and a builders. It has since been restored by Kath Wells, Estate Agent.