Staff and customers evacuated after fire breaks out at Bramley Wetherspoons pub

14 November 2017

Share this post:
  • 123
    Shares

A popular pub in Bramley was evacuated after a fire broke out today (Tuesday), writes REBECCA WHITTINGTON.

Firefighters from Stanningley and Leeds were called to the Old Unicorn on Town Street at 8.30am after the blaze started in the metal flue of a chimney stack above the dining area.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said:

“There was a fire in the chimney stack, the crews used one hose reel to put the fire out.”

Staff and customers were seen waiting in the car park as the emergency services quenched the flames and inspected the premises.

SAFETY: Firefighters on the roof of the pub.

It is believed the fire was caused by a failure in the smoke extractor.

Dave Jenkins, the area manager for Wetherspoons, said the flue had passed a routine inspection six weeks ago and a safety certificate had been issued.

He said:

“The pub is now open and trading as normal.”

   

   
   
   
   

   

   


Share this post:
  • 123
    Shares

Article tags

Share this article

Comment on this article