There’s a load of stuff happening in Charlie Cake Park, Armley – thanks to the efforts of local residents and a metal shipping container called Playbox. Armley’s Emma Bearman explains …
1. On Fridays Ben (10) & Lewis (9) want you to join them 6pm to learn some rugby moves. They are saving for some new kit, so donations are most welcome!
2. Sunday 8th we will definitely open for a cafe style slouchy breakfast. 10am to 1pm. Bring your own blankets & bread cakes. We will supply chairs & tables, and do our best to create a pop up cafe.
3. Then every morning the week commencing 9th May we will try out breakfast in the park 8am – 9.30am with Armley Junktion – the amazing local cafe which has spearheaded a global movement interrupting perfectly good food destined for landfill.
4. The following weekend on the 14th we will have a ‘DIY up your streets event’ to come up with designs and ideas before being joined by the handy Hyde Park Source on 15th Sunday. From moveable planters on casters, to stickering your bins. Creating treasure trails from old trash.
These beauties were made last year by my friends in Armley. With leaves & seeds from my tree pals here. pic.twitter.com/1PS0fAxCrb
— Playbox (@Playbox01) April 23, 2016
5. On Sunday 15th we will work with local Armley resident Artist Louise Proletariat to develop quirky souvenirs representing Armley.
6. On the Sunday 15th we aim to run a pet portrait session with Photographer Mat Dale. (Subject to confirmation)
7. Tuesday 17th and Friday 20th we are opening up for after school creative play with play worker and Armley resident Bekah.
8. Friday 20th Susan Cunningham will put on a parents & preschoolers dance in the park 45 min activity starting 10am
9. The following weekend on the Saturday 21st we’d love for you to help put on a table top sale, and cafe again. Sunday is our final day and we’d love for YOU the community to put on a music, BBQ & talent show together.
10. We have had conversation to run fitness activities on Mondays after school, Charlie cake biscuit making and fruit salad creation as well as local young people wanting to put on arts and crafts activities. We need a core group of key holders to help support these activities when we can’t be there.
Let us know if you’d like to put something on!
We will be putting this information up in the notice board and adding more details as they are confirmed.