A vandalised Grade II Listed Armley chapel WILL have its heritage windows restored and new security measures introduced.
Leeds City Council has approved plans to replace unsightly perspex sheeting with original leaded heritage glass at the chapel in Armley’s Hill Top Cemetery, complete with a stainless steel security mesh to deter vandals.
As reported in July, the security mesh would be painted black and be sympathetic to the building, which dates back to 1886, as well as minimising the risk of future vandalism.
A council planning officer’s report concludes:
“This proposal to reinstate lost leaded stained glass windows and is considered acceptable in terms of its impact on visual amenity and the fabric and character of the Listed Building.”
The cemetery on Green Hill Road was opened by Ephraim Barnsbee Esq, Chairman of Armley Burial Board, on 30th August 1887. The cost of the land was £2,963 and the buildings £2,780.
The chapel was designed by JP Pritchett in the Gothic Revival style.